cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One way Static NAT

vramanaiah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Is there a way to configure a one way Static NAT. What i mean here is that any outside to inside communication must use this NAT, but not the other way around.

Basically, i have a requirement, where i would like to map two public IP to one private IP. Obviously PIX doesnt allow it, because it would be confused for traffic from inside to outside. If i am not interested in the translation from inside to outside to happen, is it possible to use one way static NAT, i.e, only for outside to inside..?

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

this seems a little tricky given the fact, that IP communication usually is bidirectional. So you cannot avoid inside to outside traffic. And this traffic needs to be NATed otherwise connectivity can not be achieved. So NAT or PAT in both directions is always required.

Have you tried port redirection "Using the Static Command for Port Redirection"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008017278e.html#wp1090663

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

In fact, i was trying this with Port redirection. It does not help.

Hi,

This is not possible,because TCP based connections are always have to have 3-way handshake before it pass the traffic. Once it done the handshake thats it.

Port Direction will be the same.

Hope its clear form you.

Regards

Thilanka