cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding the use of the write command and one about SNMP

csusupport
Level 1
Level 1

I issue 3 commands write erase, then write mem and reload. The pix restarts I configure the firewall and then write mem, and reload. When I display the running configuration it shows some commands I did not execute such as 11 fixup commands(I only executed the ones for protocols I am using) is a default config getting merged with mine?

Four SNMP commands are displaye one is SNMP-server community public. I do not want any snmp on the firewall, which I understand is the default then why the SNMP commands

2 Replies 2

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

write erase and reload should bring the PIX to default configs, the fixups and other configs you are seeing is default. You can disable SNMP and other default commands.

btw if you do "write erase" then "wr mem" then "reload", shouldn't it remove the configs from the flash, then save the running config back to flash , then reload, hence the config never get erased!

Thanks

Nadeem

pavlosd
Level 2
Level 2

because PIX is a security product, some default variables are there in the configuration even if you delete them. Basically if you erase the configuration, they go back to their default values. So not to worry for the fixup ot timeout commands etc.

Also for the snmp to be enabled you will have to specify a host. It is not like the Router's case that as soon as you define snmp-server command it is accessible by every host unless you restrict it.

So do not worry much. If you want to enable it use the command:

snmp-server host [] [trap|poll]

Pavlos