Views
Helpful
Replies

Security Assessment

ciscothejam00
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i would like to make a security assessment for on of my costumers but i don't know from where should i begin.

Any advice!!!

regards

Fady

3 Replies 3

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

This is a very generic query that you have posted...

It all depends on the environment/setup that is involved in this question.

Security assessment is a very big topic in itself and we cant explain it simply..

Basically you have to evaluate and check the complete network infrastructure of the client, starting from its LAN/WAN/Security design and implementation aspects and give your feedback to customer on the potential security threats identified ,and how it can be mitigated.

Again, it is a very generic query to provide a better answer...

HTH

-VJ

Hi all:

vijayasankar is right, but I suggest another forum where you can find a lot of suggestions about security applications.

http://www.antionline.com/index.php?action=forums

I hope this help. Please rate if it does.

Best regards

Alberto from spain.

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Since this is a very generic question, let me try and point you in the right direction.

First and foremost, make sure that you have an up to date diagram of the network - both logical and physical.

Once you have the above information in place, looks at:

Physical Security

L2 Security - L2 Domain, VLANS, Port Security, etc

L3 Security - Traffic across WAN,

Routing Protocol Authentication, VPN, Remote Users, Internet Edge Access-Lists, Infrastructure ACl, Out of Band Network.

N/W Device Management - Telnet, SSHv1/v2, SNMPv3

L4-L7 - Caching, HTTP/HTTPS

Configuration Best Practices

Review Security Configuration Template

IDS/IPS Placement

Schedule Meetings with Various Teams and understand their security policy and how they manage the devices/traffic.

And also refer the SAFE Blueprints, which will be come very handy during your assessment.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns340/ns394/ns171/ns128/networking_solutions_package.html

These are some of the few that comes to my mind. I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul