Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Nexus 7K via ISSU with version jump or non ISSU to target vers

AMSNETWORK
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody.
We are currently evaluating the upgrade of two fully redundant Nexus 7K appliances that serve as the network's CORE. In each of the equipment, we have 3 VDCs (admin, CORE, Datacenter).
The Nexus 7K is currently at version 6.2(12) and we plan to upgrade to version 7.3(7)D1(1).
We have the option to upgrade directly to the target version via non-ISSU and the option to upgrade via ISSU by jumping from version 6.2(12) to version 7.2(x) and then to target version 7.3(7) D1(1).
We are concerned about the behavior between Nexus 7K devices if we go directly to the target version via non ISSU. We are choosing to upgrade via ISSU up to version 7.2(x) and later to version 7.3(7)D1(1) on each of the devices.
I would like to know Cisco's recommendation for this case.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No there is no direct upgrade, you need to follow the path, if not system will break and may need RMA.

Read the release notes :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/7_x/nx-os/release/notes/7x_nx-os_release_note.html#pgfId-1411658

Note : Cisco always advise to upgrade where possible and get downtime atleast yearly once, so you will skip these kind of situation.

I know some place hard to get maintenance window, but at the same time we need to look stable of the system to work as expected.

since you have HA environment and with vPC, you can easily upgrade the path with less impact, if the any FEX conection and have dual home connected to nexus 7K. any orphan device have downtime while the device rebooting time after upgrade.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello BB,

Thanks a lot for your help. We will proceed with the upgrade following the upgrade path.
I come back here to comment the result.

Regards,

Klinger Francis