Views
Helpful
Replies

4900M Etherchannel Load-Balance for MPLS traffic

Deniz AYDIN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have installed 4900M (cat4500e-ipbasek9-mz.122-54.SG1.bin) between our ASR1K and another internet router. All of the traffic between the 6500 and ASR1K is MPLS.

6500 10G <->10G 4900M 4X1G <->4X1G ASR1K

4900M is configured for Layer 2 swithcing, just for getting capacity more than 1G on the ASR1K. But the traffic towards the ASR1K is not equally distributed. When we changed the traffic from mpls (ethertype 8847) to ip, the problem is solved. It seems that 4900M counts mpls traffic as non-ip traffic and uses src-dst mac for load sharing algoritm which always points the same interface. is this what's suppesed to? and is there any configuration to change this behaviour?

3 Replies 3

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I'm afraid the port-channel load-balance mpls option is not available on the 4900 platform, so unfortunately I've no idea how to solve this, sorry.

Perhaps another member can provide a solution.

Best regards

Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Thnks for your answer. Actually 4900M is not in the MPLS nor in the IGP path. It has vlan configuration on both sites (to connect 6500 and ASR1K). So I am not looking for mpls label awaraness on the 4900M as it is not have any IGP/MPLS LDP neighborship on both sites.

I suspect all the packets, which is not have ethertype 0x0800, is treated as non-ip packets except for IPV6 which it has an option for etherchannel load balance. It will be great if it has an option for mpls also or it can be configurable ), at least for mpls packets.

Hi Deniz,

year, I understand.

Never done this but I think the mpls option of the port-channel load-balance command could handle that.

c6500(config)#port-channel load-balance ?

dst-ip                 Dst IP Addr

dst-mac                Dst Mac Addr

dst-mixed-ip-port      Dst IP Addr and TCP/UDP Port

dst-port               Dst TCP/UDP Port

mpls                   Load Balancing for MPLS packets

But unfortunately it seems to be available for the 6ks only.

Regards,

Rolf