cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy based routing

olly ahmed
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to configure a policy routing which will be executed after 2/3 hops or as specified ? If possible then please share an sample configuration.

4 Replies 4

enter2014
Level 1
Level 1

Can you expand on what you are trying to do? Policy based routing allows you do make descisions based on various criteria but the decision is made locally on the device that the policy is applied to. If you want to influence traffic patterns in 2 to 3 hops this may be difficult unless you control that device. What's happening in 2 to 3 hops that you are trying overcome?

Is it possibe to use traffice engineering like MPLS to force a specific source to travel across the specified hops

or specified next hop ips ? That means want to specify every next hop in a single router. Such as i want the source-10.10.10.10 will reach the destination-20.20.20.20 using these paths as next hops as specified 1.1.1.1, 2.2.2

.1, 3.3.3.3 and finally 20.20.20.20. 

OK in that case, I do not believe you can use policy routing to achieve that goal.  In order to affect the path of the packet you would have to use policy on the origin router to affect the path over multiple hops, I don't know way of doing this with PBR. Depending on how the network is setup you may be able to use dynamic routing on the destination router to force traffic a specific path but if there's only one entry/exit point that will not work either.

Thanks for your kind reply.