Views
Helpful
Replies

Providing DNS Service

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I am come across some RFPs for Internet service where one of the requirements is for the ISP to provide  DNS service to the customer.  Is this something as simple as giving them the IP address of a DNS server to use or could it be something more?

Thanks in advance.  All replies rated.

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I am come across some RFPs for Internet service where one of the requirements is for the ISP to provide  DNS service to the customer. Is this something as simple as giving them the IP address of a DNS server to use or could it be something more?

Hi,

If you see the concepts of DNS in internet is when ever you want to host your web server in internet and you dont have authorative dns server with you then we ask some of the ISP's to become a authorative DNS server for your web server which is exposed to internet.so when ever a request comes for your web site the authorative DNS server's ISP will resolve and provide the ip address of your web server to users.

and if you have DNS server at you own datacenter then we ask the root DNS server in internet to redirect the traffic for your web site to your own DNS server so that it can resolve the page and provide the ip address.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I am come across some RFPs for Internet service where one of the requirements is for the ISP to provide  DNS service to the customer. Is this something as simple as giving them the IP address of a DNS server to use or could it be something more?

Hi,

In addition to previous post check out the belwo link for further information.

http://sprint.com/business/resources/ratesandterms/InternetServiceProvidersAnnex.pdf

Hope that Helps !!

Ganesh.H