cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 series Power supplies won't power on when installed - Is there ANY way I can test these things!!?

ICS17545
Level 1
Level 1

I just got 4 complete 6500 catalyst cabinets (I think 6509 - not sure exact model ATM - they are at another location), each has 2 power supplies in them and I received an additional 8 PSU's that came with the lot which were removed from 4 other 6500 units that were retained by the seller (they upgraded to larger PSU's for more POE capability).  

So I have not been able to get any of these 16 PSU's to work in any of these units, even after seeing them working on-site before purchase (same SN on the units).  This hardware had just been removed from service a month prior, stored in the IT storage unit until I picked them up (this is at a university).  All the equipment in the racks works when I hooked them up to  a specialized bench PSU, so it seems there is something going on with all these PSU's which seems implausible.  

I'm looking at the back of the unit and there are 8 large pins (10-12g) as well as 21 smaller pins in a 7x3 arraingement where these pins are connected to the PSU PCB by some kind of connector & are 14-16g - it is somewhat similar to an ATX PSU connector but a little smaller.

The Cisco model for the PSU's is 34-1535-02  REVA0 and is a 1350W (120v) with 27.5A @42v, 12A @ 12v, 5A @ 5v and 15A @ 3,3v but it steps  to 2525w @ 240v with  55.5A in the 42v rail (all other voltages are the same).  There is also another manufacturer's sticker on the unit Artesyn 7000056-0002  REV K.

I've looked at different units up to the 6000 & 8700w units and they all look like they have the same pin configuration in the back, so I'm guessing they are interchangeable in all catalyst units - though IDK and have no need for those, but if they are interchangeable, then they must use the same pinout and the same "turn on"/"authenticate" mechanism when plugged in.  

I've also made sure that it isn't the line filter on the units and that 120 is getting to the board(fuses are fine in all of them) but that's where I stopped.  I verified on 4 units and figured if they were all fine up to that point, it wasn't the power feed, but some kind of internal switch that isn't being triggered.  

I can't believe that there are no web pages where people have torn these down to service or trouble shoot them, not even a page on how to change a fuse, yet I see thousands of these sold online as "refurbished" and if that is the case, how exactly are they refurbishing this equipment if no one even knows how to turn them on and run tests on the outputs? 

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how I might be able to salvage my considerable investment and not be told to buy 8 more $500 PSU's that will probably not work either, I'd be much appreciative.  I've been working with electronics like this for 10+ years but usually have some kind of schematics to work off of but in this case, there seem to be NONE anywhere. 

I have no other way to check these, fuses are fine, voltage out of the filter is fine, the locking knob works and keeps units in place, am I missing some magical phrase or the blessing of the upper echeleon of Cisco to get these working?

I know there has to be some kind of "jumper wire" or resistive load for the back connector, so when the unit see's this it powers up.  This is basically how many PC PSU's work as they often won't power up unless they see some kind of load, even a fan can be enough, or putting a 10ohm resistor on a 5 or 12v rail to ground (often in addition of shorting out the green or purple wire to ground - depends on manufacturer).  There has to be a way to bench test these supplies and get these things to turn on.  are there ANY diagrams of this or does anyone know of any method to test these?    I was appauled at the amount of useless information from an technicians point of view on all of their products and it really makes you wonder why they limit this information so heavily. 

I'm so glad the university told me that their Cisco rep said there was no problem selling these even though they are old, and reached EOL (not listed in their ad BTW).  Maybe it provided them more $ to buy new Cisco products now they have dumped their old goods on people trusting a public university to do the right thing. cisco wiring.jpg

pinout1.jpgpinout_back.jpg

0 Replies 0