cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESXi 6.7 Installer "Operation Failed"

peeat
Level 1
Level 1

I'm really struggling here. I've never had any issues with ESXi 6.5, but hadn't used this machine in a while, however I recently flashed to the latest firmware and installed entirely new RAM (24 x 16GB) and now it's time to get things rolling again. I'm simply attempting to reinstall a fresh copy using the VMware_ESXi_6.7.0_10302608_Custom_Cisco_6.7.1.1.iso i downloaded from my.vmware and it continues to throw off this error:
Operation failed.Operation failed.
Both my USB flash drive and the SD card were created using Rufus from the aforementioned (see above) Custom Cisco ISO and I proceeded to attempting installation as I always have previously.  Not sure where I've gone wrong this time around.

I've tried initially to install to my 32GB SD card on the internal Cisco FlexFlash, which I'd never used before, so I thought perhaps that was where I went wrong. I'm only running a single SD card, but CIMC shows that virtual drive as all green lights:

HV 1 RAID 29696 MB true

But I've also tried to install to my 16GB USB flash drive, which was previously running 6.5 without issue and it results in an identical error. I've poked around on the web, found couple quasi-related posts, but nothing that's helped me overcome this issue thus far. Anyone with a LOT more knowledge and experience than myself (which isn't really saying a whole heck of a lot, as my comprehension and experience are both quite meager), but anyone able to shed some light on where I've gone wrong?

Once I hit this roadblock it simply forces me to reboot and I'm stuck in a perpetual loop. I'm tempted to try installing this to one of my local arrays, just to see if it works, but that's hardly an ideal workaround -- i'd prefer to boot ESXi from one of the internal headers, if at all possible. I'll get a second 32GB sd card so I have a proper RAID1 array running, but that'll take a couple/few days to acquire. Any solutions that can get me up and running this evening would be appreciated. Thanks MUCH for any assistance here.

• Hardware: Cisco UCSC-C240-M3S
  • BIOS Version: C240M3.3.0.4b.0 (Build Date: 06/22/18)
  • Internal USB header has a 16GB SanDisk USB flash drive
  • Cisco FlexFlash SLOT-1 Card Type: SD2523 card "healthy" Raid Role: primary
    Cisco FlexFlashCisco FlexFlash

I'm not sure what other information might be relevant in attempting to resolve my little dilemma I've caused for myself. As aforementioned, using the Custom Cisco ISO directly downloaded from vmware's site, my machine is on the HCL still for 6.7 -- what am i missing here? I feel so dense. Thanks in advance for reading this far.

#1 mage.
1 Reply 1

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

There are some tips for you as download again the IOS file and try it. Have you tested newly installed memories? Is it installed in the correct order?

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!