Views
Helpful
Replies

FPR2110 without [any] Contracts

fbeye
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

I was curious about the FPR2110 Firewall capabilities without getting or having a contract. As in, is there any set of protocols that are indeed enabled by default.

To be more direct, will purchasing an FPR2110 without having any contracts provide me with more/better security or Firewall than my current 5508-X also without any contracts.

So to sum it up, will there be a benefit from going from a 5508-X ASA to FPR2110 NGFW with neither having contracts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cisco does not really target that market at all. For learners they offer free dCloud labs and Devnet sandboxes.

Also, if you want to replace an ASA 5508-X ASA, a better unit would be the Firepower 1010 with a Base and Threat license plus support. It would be much better priced than a Firepower 2110 without any licenses or support.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

what are you planning to do. without contracts you will not get cisco support or RMAs. in case of failure you will need to purchase new box. even without contracts, you need to have licenses for device to run certain features.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Honestly it is a used one I was going to buy. It is for home use with my static ip blocks. Just enjoy the products and configuring them.

I just was curious if the 2110 will outperform my 5508-x as well as offer higher firewall and security, even without contracts, is it better. 

Without any licensing you are not entitled to the IPS updates - Snort rules, Geolocation and VDB. Also, basic FTD without any licensing does not include the remote access VPN (AnyConnect) feature. You are not entitled to software upgrades without a support contract.

You do get the basic firewalling (L4 ACLs, NAT, routing etc.)

Interesting.

Would you happen to know if Cisco takes into consideration that not everyone is a corporation making $$ and there are simple enthusiasts and have contracts for such occasions? 

Cisco does not really target that market at all. For learners they offer free dCloud labs and Devnet sandboxes.

Also, if you want to replace an ASA 5508-X ASA, a better unit would be the Firepower 1010 with a Base and Threat license plus support. It would be much better priced than a Firepower 2110 without any licenses or support.

Understandable

After doing my best research, there is no easy way to search (in clarity) what is recommend.

Is something like 

Cisco Threat Defense Threat, Malware and URL - License - 1 Appliance - Security Enterprise Licensing Agreement (ELA) 2.0 - E2SE-S-FPR2110T

In the same category in which you speak?