Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Matrix Server Installation Help

mohamed_makled
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need your help about something, Iam going to install video surveillance virtual matrix server next month. I need to know the type of the monitors that should be added on the VSOM to display the IP cameras streams. Should I use certain type of monitors?? Are these monitors include NIC card to connect it to a switch port or I should used certain converters??

waiting your replies

Thx

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

In order to run the Virtual Matrix software efficiently you are going to need a dedicated client machine. If you plan to run the Virtual Matrix on an existing machine also running VSOM client you may run into performance issues. If you must install it on the VSOM client then an additional or a dual monitor video card will have to be installed.

As far as the monitor is concerned it depends on the environment in which it will be used i.e. desktop for individual viewing or wallmount for public viewing. You can then use a regular desktop sized monitor with VGA and/or DVI input(s) or you can use a big screen monitor (42"+) with VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI inputs. Of course the Virtual Matrix client must have a video card that supports whatever input you plan to use.

View solution in original post

jfiranzi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mohamed,

Ainsley is spot on (thank you Ainsley).  A Monitor displaying output from Virtual Matrix is nothing like an Analog Matrix Switch which intercepts video streams directly.

VSVM is a server process which pushes predefined video feeds to a client PC which then sends the video to your monitor via HDMI, SVGA or any layer 1 cable supported by your video card.  Think of a VSVM monitor as displaying a (rotating or constant) set of live video streams (16 feeds is common, as is 9) to a computer monitor or a large LCD, LED or Plasma monitor.

Select a monitor based on the limitations and capabilities of the video card you are using on a (dedicated) client PC meeting or exceeding the VSM client spec doc for best results.  If this is a large screen monitor and you are using any High Def feeds in your rotation, you will want a very capable client PC (Cisco offers a client PC Workstation, Cisco part number CPS-WORKSTATION, which is a Solutions Plus of Dell T5500. This workstation includes the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system and is compatible with VSM 6.3.1.)

You may wish to discuss planning with either the PDI Help Desk (if you are a Video Surveillance Advanced Technology Partner) or your Cisco SE (who can consult the PDI Help Desk on your behalf.)

I hope that helps,

Jim

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

In order to run the Virtual Matrix software efficiently you are going to need a dedicated client machine. If you plan to run the Virtual Matrix on an existing machine also running VSOM client you may run into performance issues. If you must install it on the VSOM client then an additional or a dual monitor video card will have to be installed.

As far as the monitor is concerned it depends on the environment in which it will be used i.e. desktop for individual viewing or wallmount for public viewing. You can then use a regular desktop sized monitor with VGA and/or DVI input(s) or you can use a big screen monitor (42"+) with VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI inputs. Of course the Virtual Matrix client must have a video card that supports whatever input you plan to use.

jfiranzi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mohamed,

Ainsley is spot on (thank you Ainsley).  A Monitor displaying output from Virtual Matrix is nothing like an Analog Matrix Switch which intercepts video streams directly.

VSVM is a server process which pushes predefined video feeds to a client PC which then sends the video to your monitor via HDMI, SVGA or any layer 1 cable supported by your video card.  Think of a VSVM monitor as displaying a (rotating or constant) set of live video streams (16 feeds is common, as is 9) to a computer monitor or a large LCD, LED or Plasma monitor.

Select a monitor based on the limitations and capabilities of the video card you are using on a (dedicated) client PC meeting or exceeding the VSM client spec doc for best results.  If this is a large screen monitor and you are using any High Def feeds in your rotation, you will want a very capable client PC (Cisco offers a client PC Workstation, Cisco part number CPS-WORKSTATION, which is a Solutions Plus of Dell T5500. This workstation includes the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system and is compatible with VSM 6.3.1.)

You may wish to discuss planning with either the PDI Help Desk (if you are a Video Surveillance Advanced Technology Partner) or your Cisco SE (who can consult the PDI Help Desk on your behalf.)

I hope that helps,

Jim

Dear  Ainsley/Jim

Thank you for your replies and your support.