Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 routers working with ISE?

RSundstrom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Has anybody had any success with using a Cisco 2811 router with an Identity Service Engine application config?

I understand the 2800 series routers are not compatible with ISE but I have quite a number of them to work with and am hoping somebody has found a workaround for this.

Ideas?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you just trying to use ISE to provide AAA services for admins to login and be authorized to run commands on your 2800?

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

I have many 2811 routers with switch modules mounted in them. I am trying to use Cisco ISE to authenticate users with workstations wired to the switchports. Cisco TAC has told me that they have not verified that it will work this way. Because of this they are listing the 2811 as "not compatible" with ISE. I am hoping to find someone that already has either confirmed or denied that the 2811 with switch module will work with ISE.

Ah, so you are trying to run dot1x on a switch module on your ISR G1. Unfortunately, that hardware would not be supported. For a list of compatible hardware check out the ISE Compatibility Guide:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/1-3/compatibility/ise_sdt.html

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

And what if we only try to perform device administration (login)? Is it supported? And do we need a specific IOS version? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Carlos Morais

ISE is perfectly capable of acting as a AAA RADIUS server for your routers. Any IOS version that supports RADIUS (which goes back to the 1990s at least) will work for that.