cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Common Access Card use when connecting to Cisco devices

Eric R. Jones
Level 4
Level 4

I have been tasked with setting up Common Card Access (CAC) to our  Core, Distribution, Edge and Appliance devices e.g. 3850's, 6500's, TACACS.

I have read about a product from Pragma Systems, http://www.pragmasys.com/, but I'm unable to find anything concrete with a "How to" attached.

Has anyone out there been able to deploy this solution professionally and not in kludge of connections through various pieces and parts?

ej

6 Replies 6

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No one else has come up with an answer, so I will give you some of my thoughts.

First I found this article on their web site using Google which seems pretty detailed.
http://www.pragmasys.com/products/support/cisco-2-factor
Y
ou will need modern Cisco devices for this to work.

I think another workable solution would be the use of one time passwords.  Basically you have a system that authenticates a user with a CAC card and that creates a TACACS+/RADIUS account that can be used once and then is disabled/removed (or it could reset the password everytime it is used).  Everytime you need to access a system you would have to present the CAC card to get another login.  This would work with every Cisco device, old and new.  This would scale to support a lot of users.

Another option that would only work with SSH would be to configure SSH to only allow keys to login (this requires a modern IOS).  Then you store your private keys on a CAC SmartCard style device that offers secure storage.  It would not use RADIUS or TACACS+.  This probably wont scale well.

The link you put in is what I experimented with and though it is a solution it isn't practical for us. With over 100 switches we don't fancy having to put certificates on each device and then keep up with them come renewal, or replacement time. You also need to upgrade each switch to Denali 16.3.X so you can complete part of the configuration. A command or two aren't in 3.7.5E, that upgrade also adds some new ACL's for Auto-QoS and Control Plane, which is nice; however, it did kill one of my mgt ACL's keeping me from accessing the device after reboot. Took a while to figure out what happened there.

I would have to discuss the other options you posted with the group and see what they think. We are trying to get away from the password issue and we are working towards a transition to ISE form ACS but that could be a bit off in the future. 

Unfortunately we need to do more research and find a different method.

ej

How about this; you change to using SSH with keys only (no usernames and passwords).  You then configure the devices to only allows access from a very limited number of machines (you could specifically use jump hosts for this purpose), and configure the jump hosts to only allow CAC access.

A 4096 bit SSH key is the equivalent of a 512 character password.  So pretty good in my book.

It is not quite what you want; but does ultimately achieve your end game - access to the devices can only be done using a CAC.  It is also simple - and when it comes to maintaining devices simple can be pretty valuable.

Well it seems like the long way round the barn for us. Here's our layout Admins > ACS > Edge/distro/core devices. We use ACS for AAA that allows us access to the edge devices based on tiers in the department. When we access the network devices they then check to see if our Uname/Pwd is valid and what rights we have. Then we are allowed in the device with our privileges. So I don't see how we get around that part. We can hit a jump box to get to the device but the device goes to the ACS to get permission.

Like asking Dad for a cookie because he's a softy but he just says talk to Mom, keeper of the cookie jar. :^) That never ended well for me. :^(

I'm still looking but keep returning to the realization we may just have to wait on ISE to resolve this issue.

I'm by no means an expert, still working on passing my route exam so any suggestions are helpful.

ej

Well that makes it easy.  That rules out all options I know of.  So perhaps it may be that there is no solution that addresses everything that you need.

Yes, I think it may work if we begin using Active Directory again with our ACS.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

ej

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: