Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

MTU mismatch in Layer 2 network?

kerim mohammed
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am just wondering on how mismatched MTU sizes are handled in Layer-2 networks and also inside a particular switches internal architecture.

Layer 2 devices do not do fragmentation in the even of MTU mismatch. is this because Layer 2 devices do not re-write header information (like inserting destination IP and next hop MAC into the newly created frame.) i believe this is what they call per-hop behaviour? if this not the reason, then...? assuming this is the reason, let me proceed to my next question.     When we set MTU on an interface , there is no mention of direction (ingress or egress), so i take this as means in both directions. so if a jumbo frame comes in on an interface which is set to recieve jumbo frames and forwarding decision is made and the frame is scheduled to egress via an interface whose MTU is not set for Jumbo frames, will the switch drope the frame at the egress buffer? if not, this implies MTU is an ingress property(only for incoming packets). But, again if it drops the packet, then MTU shoud have been system wide or global configuration as opposed to interface level configuration (just like nexus 5000). please, let me know. details and scenarios are always appreciated.

Thanks,

Kerim

Who Me Too'd this topic