Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

SGE2000P - InterVLAN Routing & internet Gateway

WoodsieLordShab
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I've been reading articles and forum discussions for a while now, as I'm gathering information before designing any network modifications or making purchases.

Currently, we have a plain network and we are planning to 'upgrade' it a little. We want to implement VLANs to separate wireless clients, workstations + servers and infrastructure devices form each other.

As of now, we have no VLANs, and no managed Switches. We only have an RV016 that handles two ISPs and a 3rd party connection service to the office branches ( I belive they're using Frame Relay, but as far as we know, we are not concerned since we cannot touch their devices)

The reason behind the title, pointing towards the famous SGE2000P, is that my workplace is located in Argentina... and we don't have as many choices as some of you guys have ! In fact, I was unsuccessful trying to get a Cisco partner to contact me. We would like to replace the RV016 with a cisco 1941 (and a HWIC switch card).

So, back to business..! Assuming we will be using the SGE2000P switches, I was thinking about setting VLANs using 802.1Q through seven of these switches, along with a 1941 Cisco router. I'm expecting the 1941 to handle load balancing between both ISPs and the 3rd party link. Now, as for Inter VLAN routing, I would like to have gigabit traffic between VLANs. It's not imperative but it would be a nice and welcomed feature, (by the way, our current network runs at 10/100 speeds. I know, it's hard to belive, but it's the truth!).

so, my question is...

Is it possible to use one SGE as Layer 3 mode to hande inter VLAN traffic (gigabit speeds) while using the 1941 as a end point device to reach internet (using PAT) ?

Would you suggest me to use the 1941 for Inter VLAN routing, despite the 10/100 limitation(*) and use all SGE's in L2 mode?

(*): We need two ISPs, a third link for the FR connection, and finally the LAN interface. As far as I know, I'm limited to the gigabit builtin interfaces for WAN purposes, am I right?

Thanks in advance!

Agustin.

Who Me Too'd this topic