cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

CUBE: SIP-to-SIP "pass-thru content sdp" & the DTMF relay implication

I just want to share my findings, in case it is of any benefit to the community.

I find that when the command "pass-thru content sdp" is used,   During the call set up process, while the CUBE doesn't at all inspect SDP portion of the SIP request, it does mess around with the DTMF-relay preference.   This will cause the problem especially when the callee is a CTI ports.  (such as UCCX application, CUC, etc)

It is also simple to test out this behavior.   And, use only one type of dtmf-relay at a time.   You will find that with "dtmf-relay sip-kpml" or "dtmf-relay sip-notify", for incoming calls, CUBE will present it as part of INVITE to CUCM, CUCM will ACK it, but then upon receiving the ACK, CUBE will filter them out before presenting the ACK to the caller.   (Note: Both sip-kpml and sip-notify are not present as part of the SDP, but present as part of the SIP header, where CUBE is not passing through without any manipulation.)    As a result, the CUCM will user sip-kpml/sip-notify and the caller will think that the call doesn't support any dtmf-relay at all.

The reason I used one dtmf-relay type at a time for my testing is so that I can observe the full interaction of the configuration with regard to each dtmf-relay type.

voice service voip

sip

bind control source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0

bind media source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0

session transport tcp

rel1xx disable

header-passing

error-passthru

midcall-signaling passthru

pass-thru content sdp

dial-peer voice 6000 voip

destination-pattern .T

session protocol sipv2

session target ipv4:192.168.1.100

session transport tcp

voice-class codec 1

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

ip qos dscp cs3 signaling

no vad

!

dial-peer voice 1000 voip

session protocol sipv2

session transport tcp

incoming called-number .T

voice-class codec 1

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

ip qos dscp cs3 signaling

no vad

!

Most source on the Internet will say it is best to best use "rtp-nte" without pointing out the rational behind it. 

So, in essence, the combination between "pass-thru content sdp" and "dtmf-relay sip-notify" or "dtmf-relay sip-kpml" will cause an undesirable behavior esp. with regard to CTI-based application.

voice service voip

sip

pass-thru content sdp

dtmf-relay sip-notify   <=== not going to work, CUBE break the negotiation of dtmf-relay

or

dtmf-relay sip-kpml   <=== not going to work, CUBE break the negotiation of dtmf-relay

or

dtmf-relay sip-kpml rtp-nte  <-- both won't work

dtmf-relay sip-notify rtp-nte

Only when you "rtp-nte" is forced that dtmf-relay will work correctly.

Note: show sip-ua calls, "Negotiated Dtmf-relay" will always be "inband-voice" when "pass-thru content sdp" is used.

Negotiated Codec         : pass-through

Negotiated Dtmf-relay    : inband-voice  <--- CUBE just forward all RTP traffic from one call leg to another call leg, don't assume that this both side has successfully negotiated for "rtp-nte"

When the "pass-thru content sdp" is not being used, you can expect:

Negotiated Codec         : g711ulaw (160 bytes)

Negotiated Dtmf-relay    : sip-notify

or

Negotiated Dtmf-relay    : sip-kpml

or

Negotiated Dtmf-relay    : rtp-nte

Who Me Too'd this topic