Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

SG200 high "Packets With Errors"

mschubert1990
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a SG200-18 switch that's been in production for about 6 months. About a month ago we had a severe ice storm and everything lost power including the switch. Afterwards I started to see very high "Packets With Errors" in the interface statistics in the web gui. When looking at the Ethernet statistics, the errors are mainly "Internal MAC Receive Error" with only a few "Frame Check Sum" errors.

Before the power outtage I was seeing about 0.035% packets with errors on the heaviest loaded interface. After the power outtage I saw 1.60% packets with errors on the same interface. Other busy interfaces saw similar raise in packets with errors. Again these errors were mainly "Internal MAC Receive Error" with only a few "Frame Check Sum" errors.

I contacted Cisco and was told that the firmware could be corrupted and that I should update to the latest firmware version: 1.3.5.58 (I was running 1.3.0.62). I updated to the latest firmware (including updating the boot code). Verified that the md5 check sums listed on the web gui match that of the firmware files that I loaded onto the switch.

It's been a couple days since upgrading the switch firmware and I've noticed that the packets with errors has gone down; now around 0.3% on busiest interface. Should I be concerned by this number of packets with errors? What does "Internal MAC Receive Error" even mean?

Thank you.

Who Me Too'd this topic