Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Multiple Profiles

rsaritzky99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have multiple clients that use multiple versions of VPNs including Cisco, Sonicwall and others.

I have a client with the (older) "Cisco Systems VPN Client".  Then I got a new client with instructions to install the "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client".  Without warning, the installation uninstalled what I now believe was an older version of this same VPN client - but the name has changed, the installation directories have changed, etc.

OK, but the new client wiped out the connection parameters to the old client.

I've tried to read and understand the other discussion entries about storing multiple "profiles" (i.e. vpn connections).  Other VPN clients have a menu option or a simple way to add a connection, but it seems more challenging to do this with the AnyConnect client.  However, I read, and tried to set up, multiple profiles.  From the other discussions, I followed these steps:

1. Located the (hidden in Windows 7) following directory:

%ProgramData%\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile

2.  Created two xml files, "Client1.xml" and "Client2.xml" in this directory. containing

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<AnyConnectProfile xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/encoding/">

<ServerList>

<HostEntry>

<HostName>Client1HostName</HostName>

<HostAddress>Client1HostaddressDNS</HostAddress>

<PrimaryProtocol>IPsec</PrimaryProtocol>

</HostEntry>

</ServerList>

</AnyConnectProfile>

{And a similar file for Client2}

There was another discussion thread that had more lines in the xml file, which I also tried.  Again, I created 2 separate xml files, each one with the respective client's parameters.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<AnyConnectProfile xmlns="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/encoding/">

<ServerList>

<HostEntry>

<User>navadmin</User>

<SecondUser></SecondUser>

<ClientCertificateThumbprint></ClientCertificateThumbprint>

<ServerCertificateThumbprint></ServerCertificateThumbprint>

<HostName>Client1</HostName>

<HostAddress>Client1DNS</HostAddress>

<Domain></Domain>

<Group>ssl_url</Group>

<ProxyHost></ProxyHost>

<ProxyPort></ProxyPort>

<SDITokenType>none</SDITokenType>

<ControllablePreferences>

<LocalLanAccess>true</LocalLanAccess></ControllablePreferences>

</HostEntry>

</ServerList>

</AnyConnectProfile>

I then quit the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client and restarted, hoping that I would get a dropdown list that contained "Client1" and "Client2".  This did not happen.

Prior to trying this, I did NOT delete the "Preferences.xml" file in the following directory:

C:\users\<myusername>\AppData\Local\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client

This is where the Anyconnect client stored the connection info when I manually input it into the GUI.

So, my questions are:

1.     Do I need to delete the preferences.xml in order for the profiles in the other directory to be read and displayed in the client dropdown?

2.     Are there naming conventions for the profile xml files that I'm not following by calling them "Client1.xml" and "Client2.xml"?

3.     Any other ideas as to why this isn't working?

4.     There are also references to a "profile editor", but the discussion threads aren't clear whether this utility is installed when you just install the client software, or if you have to have some sort of "administrator package" installed.  If so, is this package available for download, or do you need to purchase a full VPN client license in order to have access to this utility?

Thanks,

Ron

Who Me Too'd this topic