Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

vWLC clients getting DHCP address from management VLAN

ADRayment
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a strange scenario whereby some wireless employees are obtaining addresses from the management VLAN.

Some details:

• DHCP managed by MS DHCP 2008 R2 (in remote data centre)
  • Cisco vWLC AIR-CTVM-K9 running v7.6.110.0
  • AP's are a mix of 2602 and 3702 (46 and 2 of each respectively)
  • SSID's are employee, guest, and production devices (all mapped to their own interface with relevant VLAN tag as per normal)
  • AP's all in FlexConnect mode as per vWLC caveats

Some employees are receiving addresses in the wireless management VLAN. This network only has six DHCP addresses available as it is solely for AP's, WLC and HSRP gateway. Obviously this gets exhausted very quickly leaving us with a scenario where clients are not obtaining DHCP addresses.

I understand that with FlexConnect mode, it will assign IP's from the native VLAN. What I don't understand is why most clients receive addresses in the correct VLAN, but a handful do not, and then cannot get an address from DHCP. Obviously the ideal scenario would be to put the AP's into local mode but unless this has changed in a SW release then I don't believe it's possible...

My question is: How do I get ALL the employees to obtain addresses from their interface and not the management VLAN?

Thanks in advance.

Who Me Too'd this topic