Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Anyconnect re-install on Windows 10 Hanging

johnmotley
Level 1
Level 1

I am posting this as a solution as I saw many registry related solutions that did not work but this approach did.  This is two parts A) Getting a reinstll to work on Windows 10.  B) Getting the Windows 10 install to work. 

Symptoms:  

-User upgraded to windows 10 without uninstalling Anyconnect first.

-Uninstall anyconnect after upgrade reports no error

-Reinstall will not complete and will post error to event log:

Product: Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action VACon64_ndis6_Install, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\VACon64.exe, command: -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\\vpnva-6.inf" VPNVA 

PART A:  Getting the re-install to work

Issue and solution (In this case):

There is a directory that contains driver libraries.  If they are present the installer uses old ones and the service will not register and will roll back the installation.  Delete the registry store (using pnputil NOT through the file system directly).

Resolution Steps (Assuming you are trying to install the Windows 10 compatible versions of anyconnect issued after 7/22/2015)

1) See if this is your problem

a) Uninstall Anyconnect

b) Navigate to >> Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository  see if you have a directory named vpnva-6.inf_amd64_....

If this directory has any file older than 7/22/2015 then this is causing your install to fail.

c) Find the OEM###.INF file associated with this directory by looking in C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log

Search for Anyconnect  you will find a section that reads

{Plug and Play Service: Device Install for ROOT\NET\0000}
     ndv:           Driver INF Path: C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem24.inf
     ndv:           Driver Node Name: vpnva-6.inf:573bd3b1d858e0ac:Cisco.ndi.NTamd64:3.1.6019.0:vpnva
     ndv:           Driver Store Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vpnva-6.inf_amd64_f4ee011be27e2804\vpnva-6.inf

Note the "oem24.inf" file in this case

Delete this driver store:

i) Open a cmd box as Administrator

ii)  For safety you can double check you have the right oem file by piping the following output to a text file and reviewing the entry for oem24.inf (or whatever your file is).  The entry in the text file you create should say that it is from Cisco and that the driver with oem##.inf is a network adapter.

pnputil -e > c:\driver_data.txt

iii) Delete the driver store (after you verified you have the right oem file).

pnputil -d oem24.inf

you should get "Driver package delete successfully"

Your installation will now complete (if this was the big issue.  I already tried all the registry related issues before this in other responses).

Part B: Getting the installation to work  (this section is courtesy of andrew oracle on technet)

1) Upgraded to latest version of AnyConnect (3.1.05182) from Cisco
2) Changed registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva\DisplayName string to “Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64″
3) Navigate to Cisco Install folder
4) Right-click vpnagent.exe and select properties
5) Navigate to the compatibility tab
6) Click "Change Settings for All Users" (the vpnagent.exe runs as a service under the LocalSystem context)
7) Change compatibility mode to Windows 8
8) Click OK
9) Click OK
10) Right-click vpnui.exe and select properties
11) Navigate to the compatibility tab
12) Click "Change Settings for All Users"
13) Change compatibility mode to Windows 8
14) Click OK
15) Click OK
16) Restart "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Agent for Windows" service

I am now able to connect to VPN without issue. Huzzah!

• Proposed as answer by Andrew Oracle Thursday, October 02, 2014 3:04 PM

I was finally back in business!

Who Me Too'd this topic