Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Cisco Catalyst 6506 Switch Booting Into Rommon Mode

herr.verner
Level 1
Level 1

Currently the Cisco Catalyst 6506 Switch I am configuring is having booting issues (in addition to prior issues), and will  fail to automatically load the IOS after a reload or loss of power. I can specify the boot path and load the IOS in rommon>, though I would prefer to not have to manually boot the IOS and possibly find the underlying cause of prior and current issues. I will describe and list out the current issues and my attempts thus far.

Cisco Catalyst 6506 Switch

• (1)WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 
  • (2)48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule WS-X6148-GE-TX 
  • (3) 8 port 1000mb ethernet WS-X6408-GBIC
  • PSU1 [On]
  • PSU2 [Off]

Prior to this the 6500 was unable to boot at all. After issuing a boot command from rommon mode , it would decompress the image and return to rommon mode. The following messages were also displayed :

================================================================================

Warning: Rommon NVRAM area is corrupted. Initialize the area to default values

================================================================================

00:03:04: %SYS-SP-3-LOGGER_FLUSHED: System was paused for 00:00:00 to ensure console debugging output.

00:03:05: %OIR-SP-6-CONSOLE: Changing console ownership to switch processor
*** System received a Software forced crash ***
signal= 0x17, code= 0x42370000, context= 0x4239d6a4
PC = 0x40130b4c, Cause = 0x1820, Status Reg = 0x34018002

I at first tried to reset and reinitialize, and transferred in the IOS image over xmodem after about a day. After ensuring the proper configuration register was set, exploring device contents, and resetting I was able to boot the IOS image. However after setting some initial configurations, I found the reload brought me right back into rommon mode. I first thought to configure the boot path within the IOS itself and individually tried the following commands:

boot system sup-bootflash:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E1.bin
boot system flash sup-bootflash:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E1.bin

However after each reload I still had to issue boot bootflash:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E1.bin at the rommon prompt. At the prompt I attempted to set the boot path with the following(output attached)

rommon 1 > dev
Devices in device table:
id name
bootflash: boot flash
slot0: PCMCIA slot 0
disk0: PCMCIA slot 0
eprom: eprom
rommon 2 > dir bootflash:
File size Checksum File name
20360360 bytes (0x136aca8) 0x65c3cdc4 c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E1.bin
rommon 3 > BOOT=bootflash:c6sup22-js-mz.121-27b.E1.bin
rommon 4 > sync

This seemed to be successful once, and returned to its previous behavior. I have thought about reformatting, though haven't gone that route yet. Attached are the current command outputs of relevant information. Thanks. 

Who Me Too'd this topic