cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Jabber Audio Bug when using headphones

I am having an audio related issue with Jabber. I had it on my HP EliteBook 8460P and now also have it on my HP EliteBook 8470P that I use so I know the issue is not limited to a single computer.

While I work I usually listen to music over headphones. I have Jabber set to use an audio notification when I get messages. When receiving a new Jabber message while using headphones, for some reason Jabber defaults to using the built in laptop speakers and NOT my headphones. To make things worse, while the jabber tone is playing it also redirects all other streaming audio such as my music to the internal speakers so for 1-2 seconds everyone around me can hear the jabber tone and my music. After the jabber tone is done the streaming audio goes back to my headphones.

I have noticed that when this happens briefly I will see two audio devices listed when I click my volume control icon. It seems as if Jabber is defaulting to the built in speakers audio device despite the headphones being connected as the primary device. I am using Windows 7 and the latest audio drivers. The headphones are 3.5mm so they do not have their own audio driver like USB headphones do.

To get around this on my previous laptop I had to disable all Jabber sounds. It seems I will have to do the same with this until the bug is fixed. I also wanted to note that I never had this issue when using WebEx Connect. It started once we switched to Jabber at my office.

Thanks!

Who Me Too'd this topic