cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Catalyst 3850 retaining MAC addresses on ports

Hi all.

I am experiencing weird behavior on a 3 member stack made of C3850-48P switches.

I am seeing quite a lot of STATIC MAC address entries even though no such entries have been manually configured. The fact is, that I connected my laptop to Gi2/0/40 on Monday and it worked fine. On Tuesday I had to connect to a different port and I couldn't get any connectivity: I did get IP configuration, but I was unable to ping the gateway or anything else. Looking at the switch, I found out that my NIC's MAC address was still STATIC on Gi2/0/40, whereas my notebook was connected on a different port for sure.

We have dot1x authentication in place and I noticed that the ports on which authentication is enabled are showing MAC addresses as STATIC. Only the ports which do not have authentication are showing the MACs as DYNAMIC. Does this make a huge difference in how MAC addresses are treated?

And also: is it a known bug, or why am I seeing my NIC's MAC address still on Gi2/0/40, even though I am not connected to that port since 4 days?

I'm running IOS version 03.06.04.E

Thanks for any help,

Flavio.

Who Me Too'd this topic