cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Secure Endpoint breaking Chrome after June Windows cumulative updates?

ac513
Level 1
Level 1

We deploy Secure Endpoint 8.1.7 to our few thousand devices, and we started getting a mountain of reports this morning that Google Chrome would not appear on the screen after attempting to open it. It's not 100% across the board, but it is a significant uptick in complaints that is getting attention from our unit.

With a little trial & error, I found that killing the Secure Endpoint service or uninstalling Secure Endpoint will allow Chrome to open again. However, nothing shows up as being blocked in the device trajectory in the Secure Endpoint console. Also, if we reinstall an older version 7 Secure Endpoint client, the issue not reproducible. Once we install 8.1.7 again, the issue returns and Chrome does not open.

Behind the scenes the Chrome executable is actually opening & gets listed in Task manager.. But the app window itself never appears.

I did see at least one other thread on this in Malwarebytes' forum -- https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299100-june-2023-update-kb5027231-prevents-google-chrome-from-displaying

Anyone else seeing similar behavior today with Chrome not opening?

Who Me Too'd this topic