Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel

Who Me Too'd this topic

Catalyst 9300-48U and “Power Inline 2-event”

Badger-Fi
Level 1
Level 1

I have read some resources concerning various devices needing “power inline 2-event” configured on ports that they are connected to and I am trying to understand the reasoning.

In my case I was having trouble with an Algo 8420 dual sided network clock not powering on when connected to a 9300-48U.  The switch has two 1100W power supplies which I see is required for UPOE+.  I get the same errors that others have seen in similar situations:

EST: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi3/0/4: Power given, but Power Controller does not report Power Good

Controller port error, Interface Gi3/0/4: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

The 9300-48U in question is running IOS 17.03.04.

I can plug this same Algo clock into a generic unmanaged POE switch and a Meraki MS220 and it powers up and connects without issue.  When I configure “power inline 2-event” on the 9300-48U, the Algo 8420 does work.

My questions are these.  Are devices that are not LLDP capable the only devices that require this command to use 802.3bt?  If this Algo does not use LLDP to negotiate POE, why would the generic switch and/or Meraki MS220 work?  Basically, does this command only need to be applied on ports where PD devices that don’t use LLDP exist?

Who Me Too'd this topic