cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV134W VDSL router and WoT issues

julianp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have recently purchased a RV134W. All works fine, the only problem being I am getting lots of  World of Tanks disconnects. Actually every time I start a WoT game, it will disconnect from their server after 30s-1m. I didn't have this problem with other routers. Any clues, anyone? Many thanks. I am suspecting some firewall issues/default setups in the Cisco router. Other games work OK.

Regards, Julian.

2 Replies 2

TJ-20933766
Spotlight
Spotlight

That's gonna be a hard one to nail down.

According to https://eu.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wot/article/10196/, there are multiple ports that is used for various services. Have you locked down which ports are allowed through the router? Sometimes I see people only allow TCP 80 & 443, and UDP 53 but fail to realize that there are a lot more ports being used than just those.

There's also some reference to a "WGCheck Network Diagnostics" in that article but I'm assuming it's part of the game or came with it. I don't play so I'm not entirely sure.

As a last resort, I would recommend doing a packet capture when you're trying to connect to see if you can see at the packet level what might be happening. Ideally if this is on a laptop, perform a packet capture trying to connect to World of Tanks until it disconnects while going through the RV134W and then try connecting on another network (friend's house or coffee shop). If you don't get disconnected on the other network, you'll know that you have a golden capture with which to compare your other capture to.

Hi Tyson and thank you for your reply.

WGcheck issues some reports which are not very easy to decipher. I might actually send one over to WoT. I believe they are actually meant to be sent to some WoT dept.

Wireshark; that's gonna be a tough one. For the moment I do not have the time to do that. I am not a network professional either. It doesn't mean that I cannot do some packet tracing. Maybe in the near future.

It's strange, I have opened all the ports in RV134 for WoT, I have even tried with all traffic accepted through the router both ways to the WoT machine on the LAN. Nothing! The Cisco firewall stood very strong, if one can say so, whatever feature(s) the fw encompasses. The only solution that worked was the DMZ... So, what I did as intermediary solution, I took a Vigor router, stick it on the Cisco RV134W DMZ, double NATting, daisy-chaining. Vigor never interfered with the games. Of course I had to change that side of the LAN, the one that is now connected to the Vigor LAN ports - a different subnet. For the printers and other devices on the "primary" LAN that need to be accessed from the newly config-ed subnet I added the some routing in the WoT Windows PCs and in the routers (whatever my limited network knowledge allowed) . Vigor does have a tickbox there, in the firewall section, "Accept large incoming fragmented UDP or ICMP packets ( for some games, ex. CS ) ".  I am not sure how that is configurable on the RV134W, if that is actually the problem creating the games experience havoc.