cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV340-router44808B bandwidth limit on SSL VPN

nath1
Level 1
Level 1
Hi. I have a Cisco RV340 router configured straightforward with one WAN interface linking to my ISP. The Cisco-router is running the latest firmware version (Version 1.0.03.24). I use the feature "SSL VPN" to connect to the router when working from home. The ISP connection speed is a 500-500 Mbs, and so is my home connection. So potentially I should be able to utilize the bandwidth fully. However whenever I am working from home I can only obtain a connection speed around 20-20 Mbs. I have checked the configuration in the router, but I cannot find anything that should impose a bandwidth limit on the VPN tunnel. Any ideas?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi nath1,

The SSL VPN throughput on RV34x series routers is up to 35Mbps. You simply can't utilize the ISP speeds when using SSLVPN.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 I use the feature "SSL VPN" to connect to the router when working from home.

I am bit confused here, SSL VPN from home to work ?

To get bottom of the issue, we need more information and test.  how about other side connection ?

you mentioned your ISP give you 500MB, is this terminated to RV ?

if not what kind of bandwidth RV WAN connection ?

as per the datasheet :

Cisco SSL VPN (Cisco AnyConnect)

Maximum 50 SSL VPN tunnels and up to 33Mbps throughput. Also requires Cisco AnyConnect end user licenses to use on the end device. Ideal for mobile devices.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

When I am at work I am connected directly to the RV340 router and I can speed test the bandwidth to 500-500 (almost). So the WAN connection is fully capable of delivering the speed. When I am at home I connect via the Cisco AnyConnect client to the router (SSL VPN), and it is this connection that cannot exceed 20-20 Mbs it seems. I am sorry, but I cannot see what more needs to be said:

At work connected directly to Cisco RV340 router: speed test shows 500-500 Mbs
At home connected to Cisco RV340 via SSL VPN on Cisco AnyConnect: speed test shows 20-20 Mbs. 

I can dump relevant log files if needed. 

From home, what is your internet speed ?

also refere maximum you get as per the datasheet shared.

BB

nath1
Level 1
Level 1

My home speed is 500-500 Mbs as well. 

Limitation as per the datasheet :

Cisco SSL VPN (Cisco AnyConnect)

Maximum 50 SSL VPN tunnels and up to 33Mbps throughput. Also requires Cisco AnyConnect end user licenses to use on the end device. Ideal for mobile devices.

BB

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi nath1,

The SSL VPN throughput on RV34x series routers is up to 35Mbps. You simply can't utilize the ISP speeds when using SSLVPN.

Terabyte
Level 1
Level 1

If possible, I strongly recommend you get a RV34x to use at home and do site-to-site VPN.  It's absolutely worth the $ and you'll be a lot happier:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/m/en_sg/cisco-start/asset/pdfs/tolly217127ciscorv340vpnperformanceevaluation.pdf

No SSLVPN is going to be as fast has site-to-site IPSec.  There's just too much overhead and they're very CPU intensive.  You could also check to see if your current router can do IPSec VPN and if so you should be able to easily connect the two sites that way without the expense of an RV34x.