cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV340W MAC Address Filter

Mike Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Two RV340W were chosen since it is the latest model for small business and would be replacing RV220W.

Cannot find information to block MAC Addresses (MAC Filtering) so will NOT communicate WAN in or out. Option is available on the RV220W.

Cannot find it on RV340W.

Am I overlooking this? This option is needed and feel mislead by Cisco since I am not finding this option on a Firewall advertised device.

Sincerely,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ended up blocking IP addresses with firewall rules since there is NO OPTION to block MAC ADDRESS from the either WAN or LAN.

Seems that every time I upgrade Cisco Small Business Routers the feature set is reduced.  Less WAN firewall options in Basic Settings than the RV220W.  Also the RV340W does not have the ability to capture packets on the Diagnostics page like the RV220W.

Would also like to suggest to have one firewall rule option to block WAN1 and WAN2 on the same line to reduce FIREWALL rules since these are now limited.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mike Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to set up router firewall to BLOCK MAC ADDRESS and or IP addresses for NIC WIRED printers to NOT communicate with the the WAN. Any help to do this is all I ask.  I cannot find how to do this with this RV340W router.

Thanks in advance

Ended up blocking IP addresses with firewall rules since there is NO OPTION to block MAC ADDRESS from the either WAN or LAN.

Seems that every time I upgrade Cisco Small Business Routers the feature set is reduced.  Less WAN firewall options in Basic Settings than the RV220W.  Also the RV340W does not have the ability to capture packets on the Diagnostics page like the RV220W.

Would also like to suggest to have one firewall rule option to block WAN1 and WAN2 on the same line to reduce FIREWALL rules since these are now limited.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems blocking WAN access in your printers. The easiest way to achieve this is to create an access rule blocking the IP address of the printer(s) so that it won't be able to communicate outside of your network through any WAN port. I'm glad to know that you already did that. 

The RV340W does have the ability to take packet captures, but unlike the RV220W, this feature is now located in LAN --> Port Settings --> Port mirror configuration. 

I appreciate your feedback regarding the option to have one single rule to block both WAN interfaces, I will pass this information to the appropriate team.

Regards.