Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting an iPhone/iPad to RV220W's VPN

aghiondea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am looking to purchase the RV220W router. I am interested to know if I can use the iPhone/iPad to create a VPN connection to this router.

I have seen a lot of conflicting information about this so I am looking for a confirmation .

Thanks,

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, RV220W supports PPTP VPN Server, which works with iOS PPTP client.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, RV220W supports PPTP VPN Server, which works with iOS PPTP client.

Thank you!

Alex

I received the router yesterday and I was able to setup the PPTP VPN and connect to it using my iPhone!

Thanks again tekliu!

Alex

How do you set up the rv220w so that the IPhone can connect through using IPSec?  I tried adding an IPSec VPN, but when I try to connect the IPhone replies 'The VPN server could not be found.'

Is there a better howto or tutorial around on how to set the VPN parameters?  As a newbie I was a bit confused about some of the parameters required.  Such as, what ip number should I use for the remote wan when setting up an IPsec client?  How will I even know what the remote wan would be?

I specifically purchased the RV220w so that I could do use Cisco IPsec.  If it wasn't for that feature I would have purchased a VPN router from another vendor.

Cheers

Tom

You could try SA520, which supports Cisco IPsec Client on iPhone.

The sa520 doesn't have wireless, and I just bought this RV220W and it will be a big pain to try to excahnge it for something else.

I just bought this rv220w after being assured that yes it support QuickVPN and it will easily work with an IPhone.  The Iphone has Cisco IPSec software (the cisco logo is there).  Surely there must be some way to get this to work.  I am hoping that this is just a case of insufficient documentation for a newbie...

RV220W supports PPTP clients on various platforms, including iPhone. We could pass on your request to product management.

I am trying PPTP now.  I am using firmware 1.0.2.4.

THe message I get when I try to connect using my IPhone is 'You were disconnected by the communications device.  Try reconnecting.  If the problem continues, verify your settings.'

There were no new lines in the log on the router.

I was hoping that this woudl be plug and play, but it is being stubborn.

tekliu wrote:

RV220W supports PPTP clients on various platforms, including iPhone. We could pass on your request to product management.

I am a bit confused by this.  The router I bought supports IPSec on various platforms.  I have an IPhone that has a big Cisco logo on the IPSec connection parameters page.  What should I ask product management about?

Tom,

What telkiu was saying is that the RV220W doesn't support connections from your IPhone via IPSec. I am guessing that he has made the PPTP connections to work with Iphone since he saying its supported. What he meant by passing it on product management, as trying to get the IPhone IPSec support for RV220W.

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

To connect to RV220W, the PPTP Settings on iOS should be configured as the following:
------------------
RSA SecurID -> 'off',
Encryption level -> 'Auto'
Send all traffic -> 'ON'
Proxy setting -> 'off'

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried those setting but they did not work and I am getting the same error message: 

'You were disconnected by the communications device.  Try reconnecting.  If the problem continues, verify your settings.'

Is there something that I am missing on the router in order to get this to work?

Tom

P.S.  I really don't want to send all traffic to the VPN; only VPN traffic should go across the link.  Does 'Send all traffic' have to be set to 'Ono' for PPTP to work?

It appears that some of my problems might have been from upgrading the firmware.  For example, all my port forwarding rules stooped working after the firmware upgrade.  I reset to factory defaults and set the router up again, and now the PPTP is working with the IPhone.

Try not to use the port forwarding, there are known issues, use the access rules instead.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Regards Simon

Hello,

Just to people with the same challange:

I can confirm that it´s possible to connect with iOS (iPhone 4S iOS Version 6.0.1) to RV220W (Firmware 1.0.4.17)

Steps on RV220W:

1) Enable Remote Mangement (Administration-->Remotemanagement-->Remotemanagment enable

2) Activate PPTP Server on RV220W (VPN-->IPSec-->VPN Users)

3) Create User for PPTP Access (VPN-->IPSec-->VPN Users) Protocoll: "PPTP"

Steps on iPhone

1) Create new VPN Connection (Setting-->General-->VPN--> Add VPN Configuration

2) Choose "PPTP"

as "tekliu" above mentioned:

RSA SecureID:OFF

Encryption Level: AUTO

Send All Traffic: ON

Proxy: OFF