cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway to gateway connection established. Now what?

CCSRandyGoff
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a rookie and I have a tunnel established. What do I do next for actually having access from the remote end to files on the local LAN?

5 Replies 5

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Randall,

Thank you for posting. In Windows, go to Start-> Run and type \\192.168.2.101 (This is an example, use an actual LAN address) You should see a list of shares on that PC.

What routers are you using?

Thank you for the response mpyhala.  I do see the shares when I use the IP address of the server.  I am on the local (main office) end of the tunnel.   The same technique does not work from the remote end.  I can ping the server but I do not have access to it from Windows Explorer.  I believe it is a simple task that I need to do but I have never set up a VPN before.

Dear Randall ,

Can you please update us with more details , ;ike the following Info :

- Network Topology on both End ( Brief Description )

- IP Subnets used on both Ends

Regards

M.Tag

Mohamed,

1. I have at the local office:  A Netopia DSL router/modem (AT&T) in full bridge mode with static IP. A Cisco RV042 (IPV4 = 192.168.1.3) with DHCP for the office.    A Buffalo TS_XL Terastation (192.168.1.2) network attached storage unit holds our critical data.
  2. I have at the remote office:  A (???) cable router/modem (Cox) in full bridge mode with static IP. A Cisco RV042 (IPV4 = 192.168.2.1) with DHCP for the office.   The gateway to gateway tunnel is functioning properly.  At the remote office, I do not have access to the data on the Terastation.  I can ping it, but it does not show up as drive in my explorer window.

I believe it is a simple task that I need to do but I have never set up a VPN before.

DearRandall ,

I assume that the TeraStation is configured with an IP Address from you  the Local Office Range 192.168.1.X / 255.255.255.0. Lets first make sure that Such Problem is Only related to the TeraStation Not a Global Problem between the 2 Sites. Can you create a Shared Folder on any Workstation / PC / Laptop on the Local Office ( 192.168.1.x ) -  other that the TerStartion - and try to open this Shared folder from the Remote Office using the IP Address of the Test workstation / pc / laptop ( Example : //192.168.1.10 ). Of course, make sure that the Test workstation/pc/laptop used in the Local Office has no Firewall / AntiVirus / Security Program that might prevent the SHared Folder Access.

Keep us updated with the Test Result

M.Tag