cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Has my RV042 been hacked?

bkhaun001
Level 1
Level 1

I am a homeowner using an RV042 router in a complex audio/video and home networking system. I recently had a problem that may include a breach in my network security. The system has worked fine for about 8 months. The recent failure included the wireless TV remotes not working and loss of wifi. I watched over the shoulder of the IT guy called in to troubleshoot the problem. I am not tech savvy but have an excellent idea of how the system works. Upon review, we immediately seen that the number of assignable IP addresses was set to 2. The value was changed to 100 and all wifi issues were resolved. Next we found that the TV remote macro programming was all crazy. We reinstalled the program and it was corrected.

Question: Is there any way the router settings can change unless someone has the password and changes them?

I fear that one of the installers who became disgruntle may have been involved. Its my understanding that all history is cleared after saving changes and signing out of the router. If in fact my system was hacked by an outside contractor it is a big deal. However, I dont want to press this issue if there are other possibilities. Besides the original installer, I am the only person with the password and positively did not accidentally sign on.

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Wrong forum. Feedback Forum is dedicated to opinions, suggestions, concerns, and feedback on the new Cisco Support Community. You have little chance to receive valuable answer here.

Thank you Dan.

Bill, I have moved this thread from "Feedback forum" to the appropriate community to get the answers.

Regards

Lavanya

CSC Moderator

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Is it possible?  Absolutely.  Anyone that has the correct administrative login can do everything the admin can.  If the password is set to something easy, this can easily happen.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com