cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with Wireless router to buy - RV220W?

lfitzinger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I am no wireless expert but need help picking a more advance wireless AP for a school.

I need a number of wireless access points. We have a wired network with a Gateway and firewall to the outside world etc already. So this would just be for wireless access. I currently have AP541N but I cannot configure it to not use my Server's DHCP and we are getting more and more wireless devices and I am running out of IP address. I want the new APs to use NAT and have a seperate SSID and Seperate SSID settings so teacher's laptops connect differently than the Chromebooks. Having securer guest account would be a great bonus. The teacher's still need to connect to their networked folders and networked printes, but other SSIDs need to be isolate and only get to the internet.... HELP!!

So I need it to:

Have multiple SSIDs that can be set to use different Network modes. Like SSID 1 would use 802.11N and SSID would use 802.11G

Eash SSID needs to use different Frequency like SSID 1 would use 5 ghz and SSID would use 2.4Ghz

I need to disable slower connections rates, like no connections slower than 36Mbps.

Guest and Chromebook SSIDs needs to be secure so they cannot get to the rest of the network. Using NAT? or a firewall? I don't know these things.

Teacher's SSID needs to get to all of the network.

Need to configure the router so that is does NOT use my server's DHCP.

I was looking at the RV220W. Would this work? Would I set it to Router and NOT Gateway and still be able to do all of the above?

Thank you for any help.

Fitz

1 Reply 1

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Okay, a couple of questions.  What size area are you talking about?  And why the separation of 2.4 and 5ghz?  Is this for additional security?  speed?

Let me know if this sounds like your setup.  Wireless getting one IP from DHCP server.  Wireless with two SSIDs, one that allows teachers to access the LAN, and one that only allows Internet access.  I'm not sure if you can specify a speed limit based on bandwidth, just maybe connection technology.

Depending on the area you need this to cover, the rv220w may do it, or I've got another idea as well.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com