cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to access a rv180w when in "access point" mode

pgivoannn
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to manage the device when is in "access point" mode?

Or at least access it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rutgerh01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pietro, have you tried accessing it via it's IP address? Maybe lookup the IP using the MAC in the DHCP client table of the router/DHCP the access point is connected to. The MAC is written on the sticker at the bottom of the device.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

rutgerh01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Pietro, have you tried accessing it via it's IP address? Maybe lookup the IP using the MAC in the DHCP client table of the router/DHCP the access point is connected to. The MAC is written on the sticker at the bottom of the device.

I have no direct access to the dhcp server.

But if this is the only way i'll tell the mac adress to the network manager so that he can give it a "static" address and i can log in my router...

But I was hoping in something like the disabled WAN transformed into a sort of "console" port

I'll report back if the suggested solution will work.

In the mean time thank you for the hint.

Hello Pietro,

From the admin guide:

--------------------------------------------

Access Point:

The Cisco RV180W acts as the access point in the network. The WAN port is disabled, and the four Ethernet ports can be used to connect to another router or switch. The RV180W has the default IP address of 192.168.1.245. If you are connecting the RV180W to a network that uses 802.1x for authentication, you must enable 802.1x on the RV180W.

--------------------------------------------

So, if your network range is set at 192.168.1.x, you should be able to access the router using 192.168.1.245 address. If it is a different range, then you may need to statically assign an address before changing to the AP mode.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Nagaraja

Thank you for your kind reply nagaraja, but i went through the admin guide before posting (i should have been more verbose  in the first post ).

Unluckily the device is on a 10.0.0.0/24 that seems to be quite a mess ( the gateway is on .138  -_- ).

Our workstations have recived some ip around the .20, i tried to access from the browser all the ip from 15 to 25  but with no success.

We have rent an office in a business center and the network admin is a contractor that comes here only in the week ends to do his "fix and hack" stuff so i'll have to wait.

In the end fixing the problem was not so difficult,  when the device changes mode from router to AP the network configurations are lost: if the device in router mode takes the address via DHCP it doesn't any longer in AP. So i had pick an adress in its network(192.168.1.0/24) connect to the admin page an give him the right address on the 10.0.17.0/24 since in AP mode the device was not taking the address in DHCP even if told to do so (and this also made me lose some time).