cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to connect to RV340 on Windows via VPN?

Bongyi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just boguth an RV340 and I can't configure the VPN to get it work with windows. I set up the Client-to-Site and it works with apple devices, but not with windows. 

I tried L2TP and SSTP without any success. Also tried the native stuff and with shrew, but nothing worked. 

PPTP is working if I set to PAP(!) but this is no option because our mobile service providers blocking it, and seems really unsafe this way. Also we are a nano company, we can't affort the anyconnect license.

Is there any working solution on windows 10 or we bought an expensive brick?

Thanks,

Tamas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

PlyrStar93
Level 1
Level 1

It took me some time to get L2TP working with Windows 10, and the configuration is somehow counter-intuitive. It probably will not be an option for your scenario, though.

Just follow my IPSec and L2TP server examples.

• Phase 1 and Phase 2 are both Group 2/3DES/SHA1
  • I have PFS disabled for whatever reason, not sure if it will work if I turn it on
  • My DNS is from Comcast and you can of course use a different one.

Then in Windows 10, create the L2TP VPN as usual, but change the adapter settings - Security, choose optional encryption, allow only PAP as data encryption protocol (which is where it blows my mind). As a result I cannot connect my iOS device to the L2TP server.

• The last time I enabled other encryption protocols, in addition to PAP, the VPN would not connect.
  • I have to choose PAP as the only selected protocol for it to work.

I would also love to know if it is possible to get better encryption protocols to work with this router at all (and thus connecting L2TP VPN with iOS devices).

l2tp_ipsec.pngl2tp_server.pngvpn-adapter-settings.png

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

PlyrStar93
Level 1
Level 1

It took me some time to get L2TP working with Windows 10, and the configuration is somehow counter-intuitive. It probably will not be an option for your scenario, though.

Just follow my IPSec and L2TP server examples.

• Phase 1 and Phase 2 are both Group 2/3DES/SHA1
  • I have PFS disabled for whatever reason, not sure if it will work if I turn it on
  • My DNS is from Comcast and you can of course use a different one.

Then in Windows 10, create the L2TP VPN as usual, but change the adapter settings - Security, choose optional encryption, allow only PAP as data encryption protocol (which is where it blows my mind). As a result I cannot connect my iOS device to the L2TP server.

• The last time I enabled other encryption protocols, in addition to PAP, the VPN would not connect.
  • I have to choose PAP as the only selected protocol for it to work.

I would also love to know if it is possible to get better encryption protocols to work with this router at all (and thus connecting L2TP VPN with iOS devices).

l2tp_ipsec.pngl2tp_server.pngvpn-adapter-settings.png

You're amazing! :) It's working now :)

I spent days without any success, now it took about 5 minutes. :)

I think the problem was this part:

image.png

It was enabled by default.

Fortunately the VPN still working on iOS, because the Client-to-Site and SSL VPN(anyconnect) also working at the same time. Atleast it's connecting and I can ping the devices. I will make further tests later.

Many thanks, Tamas