cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I am considering purchase of the Cisco RV180

jtherkel1
Level 1
Level 1

I am considering purchase of the Cisco RV180, but first, I would appreciate some clarification around its IPv6 options.

Background

For my small home office, I just purchased a Cisco SG-300 switch. My goal was to create VLANs on the switch with my Linksys/Cisco consumer-grade router as the edge device.

A Cisco support tech spent a good amount of time on the phone with me configuring the switch, and we got pretty close after creating static routes on the consumer router. However, VLANs would be much easier if I purchased a device that supports 802.1q VLAN tagging.

I'm considering the Cisco RV180, the ZyXEL USG20 and similar products. Cisco has the edge on performance.

IPv6 Question

I do not run an IPv6 network internally, but of course I would want the RV180 to block undesired IPv6 traffic from the outside. Currently, certain external sites like google.com respond to my pings with IPv6 addresses.

Can the RV180 handle firewall rules to block undesired IPv6 traffic?

Can I still configure the router to allow desired outgoing traffic to google.com and other sites?

TIA,

John

1 Reply 1

charvolant
Level 1
Level 1

The short answer is: no it can't. There's no configuration options available for IPv6 filtering.

I've contacted Cico support about it and been told that I should sumbit and enchanement request. I pointed out that, without an IPv6 filter, the router is unfit for purpose and shouldn't be advertised as IPv6 capable. I'm in the process of going through the partner channel to return the router and try and get Cisco to pick up the ball. However, that's currently running on idle, since I got myself a Mikrotik router that does everything I want.