Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with RV042/RV120 Firewall

TrustGroupUAE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Hope someone can Help. This is driving me mad and i cant find any help via Google.

We are replacing some of our old Linksys Routers accross our sites as we have upgraded our Internet sand the Linksys cant actually pipe that fast.

We have replaced with some Cisco RV042's and various others of the Small Business Range.

Most of the sites are fine as they have no incoming connectivity other than a VPN Link. The firewall simply is blocking everything. Some sites have kit on site so need various ports opening.

I have been trying to get the firewall to work on this routers and just cannot seem for some reason get it to work.

I setup a test bed, and still no joy. Attached is a screenshot of the firewall rules. It looks right to me but none of the specified ports will open. Its not an ISP issue as it works fine with the old Linksys Router back in place. I have also tried on different RV's and on differnt sites. Same issue. Ports just dont seem to open.

Anybody shed any light or point me in the right direction?

Cheers
TME

3 Replies 3

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello, 

I'm sorry that you are having issues with the device.

For what I can see, the problem is that you are intending to configure port forward via access rules, and on this particular device that is not the right way. As a matter of fact, you don't need any access rules configured on the device for port forwarding to work, so you may want to delete the rules that you created for it.

To open the ports just go to Setup and then Forwarding. Below you will find a link to a document that will guide you through the process.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=e3105749e13f40a3a302802259189e07_Setting_Port_Range_Forwarding_for_the_RV042.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=5&dispid=0&cpage=search

I hope this helps.

Hi Cchamorr,

Excellent. Many thanks for the above Info.

I really dont want to sound daft, and ask a silly question but ... What is the Firewall for then? Is it not the Job of a Firewall to Open the Ports and then Port Forward?

Cheers

Si

Hello, 

No worries, all are valid questions. 

On this particular router, port forward opens the ports to everybody from anywhere, if you know the public IP and the port number then you can access it, this is where the access rules will come into place. With the access rules, you can restrict or block the traffic allowing only the intended traffic to pass through.

Please don't forget to mark an answer as correct if it was helpful to you so that other members can benefit from it.

Let us know if you have any more questions.