cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limitations on subnet in rv-325

Leslie.baker
Level 1
Level 1

Please can someone point me to a way to have subnets of /16 on the rv-325?

I am using 172.24, 25 up to 172.28 on a vlan for each, I don’t want to change my entire network configuration because the router forces a limit! Even a BT router allows these subnets!

To be clear I’m not filling each of these ranges so there’s no danger of overload but I need access to using these subnets and the router is not working with them 

12 Replies 12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 I don’t want to change my entire network configuration because the router forces a limit

Limit with VLAN number?

To be clear I’m not filling each of these ranges so there’s no danger of overload but I need access to using these subnets and the router is not working with them 

provide some examples.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I know I can change my ip ranges. I don’t want to. I would like to have the subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 used with four ip ranges 172.25 up to 172.28 this is because each one is for a separate purpose. One for third party solutions, such as hive etc, others for distinct purposes. I have the complete configuration done at present using a different router but using a Cisco 891F where its throughput is ATROCIOUS!

I’m changing the router, I don’t want to have to change a bunch of other stuff. I know how to, I just don’t see why a router has this limitation and am hoping someone knows how to correct it.

This needs to be your Migration approach before you choose the product. RV-325 is not a replacement of Cisco 891F,  Certain features need to be compromised when you move to another product or need to compare before migration.

RV-325  - You have separated VLAN here. you can create :

To be honest we are still not clear your requirement to help you :

I’m changing the router, I don’t want to have to change a bunch of other stuff. I know how to

suggest to contact SMB TAC, they can help you here or some professional service to understand your requirement and upgrade.

Note: this suggest based on the information, still you looking for help here, post Cisco 891 config removing confidential information.

BB

solution I am looking for is if there’s a hidden setting somewhere, a router firmware update or perhaps an ssh connection command that I can use to override the subnet mask.

My only other alternative is to either use my switch in routing mode or to change my vlan ip ranges.

solution I am looking for is if there’s a hidden setting somewhere, a router firmware update or perhaps an ssh connection command that I can use to override the subnet mask.

RV does not have SSH or cli.

My only other alternative is to either use my switch in routing mode or to change my vlan ip ranges

sure if that works for you.

BB

I’m sorry to tell you but you’re wrong. I’ve already connected via ssh and downloaded the cli guide. I’ve tried setting the ip for the vlan 1 through cli to 172.25.0.10 255.255.0.0 however it failed with an error.

if there’s anyone else who may know a way to increase the subnet space from /24 and up to /16 would be greatly appreciated.

I’m sorry to tell you but you’re wrong. I’ve already connected via ssh and downloaded the cli guide. I’ve tried setting the ip for the vlan 1 through cli to 172.25.0.10 255.255.0.0 however it failed with an error.

what i mean was, RV do not have capabilities of any config change from CLI, everything in GUI.

if there’s anyone else who may know a way to increase the subnet space from /24 and up to /16 would be greatly appreciated

Where you looking to increase this on DHCP Server ? or  Vlan interfaces config, can you post the screenshot?

BB

Again, sorry but no you are incorrect. Config can be changed, see the cli guide details which prove it can be done. 
Again, as I mentioned above, I have connected via ssh and have been editing configuration in accordance with the CLI guide.

Please can you reread my comments above, I am trying to do something very simple.

I have 4 vlans configured on a connected L3 switch. I want the router to swap out from an existing 891F router. I have IPs on the 172.25 to .28 range which as I’m sure you’re aware use /16

I WANT to facilitate this on the rv325 router I just bought. I do not want to change a bunch of config on the switch unless I absolutely have to.

what is running elsewhere includes dhcp but this is not a concern for the router, the only concern to resolve is the limit of the router using /24 instead of /16 subnets. 
if you can’t help me to make this change or know that it’s impossible with no way to ‘fix’ the router to do this then please say so.

apologies, i was mixing with other models, the cli gives you the ability on these models.

I do not have RV test, looking at some documentation (not the same model) they do support changing /24 to /? what ever you look as below example:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/Configuring_VLAN_Settings_on_the_RV160_and_RV260.html

If you do not see that then there may be limitations i guess here.

BB

As mentioned above, the option of 255.255.0.0 is not available, neither by Web UI nor by CLI. When attempting to force it by CLI results in an error.

This is, again, why I'm asking if there is a way to change this limitation and not how to set it.

just tried help my best, looks like not worked here.(apologies).

Contact cisco TAC.

BB