cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phantom Firewall on RV130/RV180

Richard Haley
Level 1
Level 1

I should preface this with: I'm not a network engineer--I'm a software developer.  I'd be able to look at things and report on them, but it's not my job to take care of network devices, and my wording might be a bit funny as a result.

I am working at a central office with many branches which are connected mostly with RV130s and RV180s.  At all branches, there are at least two machines, sometimes as many as five.  

In most cases, the branches are connected to the internet very well.  12Mbps down / 1Mbps up for example.

In the error condition I'm seeing, just one machine at a branch will appear to be 'down'.  If I run nmap against it from my machine, the report says all ports are filtered.  It's as if they have a firewall up.  They have no firewall running.

I can log into another machine at the branch and from there log into the 'down' machine fine.  I can log into another machine here at our office and log into the 'down' machine fine.  

The problem is always very specific between two machines, and non-permanent.  It may persist for a few hours, days and then go away and the machine will be fine again.

I was told that this is due to a defect in the VPN software on the RV series.  I doubt this, but that's what I'm currently being told, so I thought I'd ask people familiar with this hardware.

Is this the case? 

1 Reply 1

Richard Haley
Level 1
Level 1

Followup--this appears to be tied to instances running in vSphere. Stand-alone machines aren't affected. It doesn't look to be specifically a Cisco thing.