cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPTP connection

ronorron123
Level 1
Level 1

I need some assistance, I have a RV082 and works for the most part pretty well, the problem I have is with a PPTP connection, It will connect and get an IP address on the inside network but I cannot go anywhere on the network except for the gateway IP, so here is what I have:

Windows 7 enterprise workstation, connected to my home network going out through Comcast, conecting to ATT's network and to the RV082, I start the PPTP connection on my workstation at home, it checks the password and issues an IP and makes the connection, I can ping the gateway address of the inside network at the remote location but cannot ping any devices on the inside network,

More information: I can make a VPN connection with Cisco quick VPN software and everything works fine, I can get to all inside devices on the remote network, so I know that the complete path works under certain conditions.

One thing I may be missing, is the RV082 a PPTP server or do I need to have a PPTP server on the inside of my remote network to complete the circuit ?

thanks

Ron 

3 Replies 3

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Ron,

The RV082 is a PPTP server but it does need to be configured correctly. Please make sure your PPTP setting are fine. I would try the PPTP connection from another remote computer to verify it isn't Windows7 enterprise work station.

Then post results

Is this a version 3 RV082?

Jasbryan

Jasbryan,

Thanks for your reply, I have tried my win 7 workstation on other PPTP

servers (Citrix) and it works fine, I am using the same settings on the

workstation, what I don’t understand is that I can make the connection but

cannot connect to any device on the inside network, the gateway to the

inside network is the RV082 and the IP is 192.168.0.1, after I make the PPTP

connection to the RV082 I am able to open a browser and connect to the

192.168.0.1, should I have the PPTP pass through checked ? Currently it is

checked ( and not working) but I really don’t want to pass through, I want

to terminate it on the RV082, I was also thinking that I may need to have a

firewall rule but not sure of how I would create it ( I do know how to make

rules)

Thanks

Ron

Ron,

It might be best to give Cisco Small Business Support Center a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case. We can assist you with trouble shooting the router. Get a better understand on your topology, and also test PPTP connections from our lab.

Jasbryan