Views
Helpful
Replies

QuickVPN successful session gets disconnected

jon liljegren
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been installing RV042 routers in my clients homes for automation systems.  We set up VPN to use the Quick VPN utility and I am having an issue.  I am using Windows 7 64bit on the client end and can successfully connect.  After a period of time, usually an hour or so the remote network becomes unavailable and an error message pops up on the client that reads; "Remote is not responding. Do you want to wait?".  Clicking "yes" delays the popup for approx 30 seconds.  A "no" response disconnects the session.  Attempting to reconnect results in sucessfull connection but failed verification with "Failed to ping remote VPN Router."  and then a disconnect.  Both routers, client side and the remote, are RV042 models and both systems are with Comcast service. (Also happens to other service provider systems that other clients have.) On the QuickVPN client side I do have port 443 and 500 forwarded to my PC with windows firewall off.   Any ideas??

Jon

4 Replies 4

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

When a QuickVPN tunnel got interrupted, i.e. tunnel not terminated by user clicking Disconnect button, it's likely that the QuickVPN Server is not aware that the tunnel has terminated - QuickVPN does not support Dead Peer Detection that can reliably detect the liveliness of the remote peer. It may take a couple of minutes before the user can reconnect the tunnel.

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Jon,

Do you know if anyone else could be using the same quickvpn login?

I have seen that before, but it was when i was testing an account and someone had the same login information sharing the connection and it would kick me out.

jon liljegren
Level 1
Level 1

I am the only user at this time.

I tried the connection this morning and I still cannot connect.  Previously, I haven't had the time to investigate the disconnect so I'd just leave the thing alone and eventually I'd need to connect and it would work.

I am pretty sure a reboot of the remote router has not happened before successful reconnection.

What should I look at?

jon liljegren
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to connect this morning and received the error.  Where should I start looking for clues to help find a solution??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jon