cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV 120W Site to site VPN not passing Windows Networking

americanfriends
Level 1
Level 1

I have an unusual situation.  I purchased an RV 120W to try it out as a replacement VPN end point for one of our two person offices.  I hope to replace other small business VPN endpoints we have currently from a variety of manufacturers.  The other side of the tunnel the RV 120W connects to our main office which is a Cisco ASA.  The RV is set to give local clients DHCP info and they successfully get an IP address/GW/Sub and DNS resolvers without a problem (I used our internal DNS is one and Google's public DNS in another).  Also of course, the local IP network isn't in use anywhere else.

OK, so get the VPN tunnel up and running without too much hassle but here's the unusual part... When I log into a Win XP pc connected to the RV, it can't browse WINDOWS resources on the other side of the tunnel nor connect.  For example, the locally installed MS Outlook client can no longer connect to the exchange server  which it was previously set up on when the PC was back in the main office.  Trying to type a Windows server in UNC format \\<servername>\<share> times out.  I CAN access resources that don't go over the tunnel just fine (browsing the Internet).  Anything that goes over the tunnel is also very very slow....  Even directory tree redraws.

The strange thing is that there is another PC in the office running Win7.  If has none of these problems. 

I assumed that once the VPN tunnel that it was 'blind' to what traversed it assuming it was heading to the defined IP subnet (or at least this has always been my experience) however now, it's almost like services that rely on Windows interprocess communication aren't making it through the tunnel even though on paper, they should be.  To add to this, I CAN successfully ping from this PC ALL the windows servers themselves so it would seem the tunnel and routing path are intact.  Does anyone have any thoughts where to look next?

Thanks $1,000,000

-Jim

0 Replies 0