cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV-130 Resetting LAN range to default values

Dan Skaggs
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased an RV-130 router a few weeks ago and installed it into my network. I configured it with a 192.168.100.x LAN IP range. For some reason, every 8-10 days it decides to revert itself to the 10.10.10.x LAN range which completely breaks my network. None of the other settings that I've configured in the admin are changed, just the LAN IP range. 

The router is plugged into a UPS and when this happens there have been no interruptions in power to the unit. I've verified that it's on the latest firmware revision.

Has anyone else seen this and/or have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. 

Was your device configured for the 10.10.10.x network at one time?

The normal default on this unit is 192.168.1.1, it almost sounds like it is reverting back to a earlier configuration.

Not assuming anything, here is what I would do.

Go to Configuration -> Backup Restore Settings

Select Mirror Configuration and Click Clear

Select Backup Configuration and Click Clear

After that do a complete factory default of the router back to factory.

When the router comes back up, configure the router exactly the way that you want it for your network.

Then follow the steps in the Admin Guide to Backup your configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv130w/admin_guide/en/rv130w_admin_en.pdf

I would do a configuration copy of my Startup config to the Backup config. 

If this does not improve your issue, please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. 

Was your device configured for the 10.10.10.x network at one time?

The normal default on this unit is 192.168.1.1, it almost sounds like it is reverting back to a earlier configuration.

Not assuming anything, here is what I would do.

Go to Configuration -> Backup Restore Settings

Select Mirror Configuration and Click Clear

Select Backup Configuration and Click Clear

After that do a complete factory default of the router back to factory.

When the router comes back up, configure the router exactly the way that you want it for your network.

Then follow the steps in the Admin Guide to Backup your configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/rv130w/admin_guide/en/rv130w_admin_en.pdf

I would do a configuration copy of my Startup config to the Backup config. 

If this does not improve your issue, please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Hi Eric...thanks for the info.

I've never set the unit to a 10.10.10.x range myself. When I first got it out of the box that's what it defaulted to.

I work from home and this unit is installed in my house. I'll have run through the steps you suggest later tonight after everyone has gone to bed or risk a mutiny for having Internet access down that long. :)

Thanks again,
Dan

Hi Eric...

It took a lot longer to get to this than I planned, but I finally had a chance to reset and reconfigure the router tonight. In the interim, it changed the LAN IP range on two occasions but I just didn't have time at those points to reset/reconfigure it.

I'll monitor it over the next few weeks and see if the issue returns and contact the support center if it does.

Thanks again,
Dan

Dan Skaggs
Level 1
Level 1

We've finally figured out what was causing this so I'm posting this here for posterity:

For the last 8 or 9 years, I've been running my home network on the 192.168.100.x subnet. When I switched to that subnet I was doing a lot of VPN work into other networks on 192.168.1.x ranges so I set my network range up and "out of the way" to prevent conflicts.  Years later that decision is what caused us so much angst over the last few months.

I purchased a Motorola SB6121 cable modem in February of this year after my Time Warner modem went out. Unbeknownst to me, when the modem first boots up and until it can connect with the upstream DHCP server, it assigns whatever is connected to its ethernet port the IP address 192.168.100.10. That typically only lasts a few seconds before your "real" external IP is assigned.

The problem was, that the RV-130 was seeing that address on its WAN port and detecting a conflict with the LAN IP settings whereupon it decided that it needed to change the internal LAN IP range to avoid a conflict. Once we figured out what was going on by looking at the logs, we were able to replicate this behavior every time by power cycling the cable modem and watching the RV-130's log files.

So, last week I reconfigured my network onto one of the 172.16.x.x ranges, and repeated the test a couple of times. The RC-130 hasn't made any changes to the internal IP range since. Anyway, just glad it's fixed.

I have two RV130 with the same issue.
Is it possible to desactivate this stupid initiative ?