cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 - Log Emails Failing

mmwebster
Level 1
Level 1

The RV016 is currently configured to send email alerts when the log reaches 50 events. These emails are currently failing with "authentication required" errors. There's nowhere to specify credentials, so I'm not sure how or why this is happening. Additionally, the address included in the configuration is currently working for a different reporting application on the network, so I know it's valid and routing correctly.

Suggestions for next steps? I've disabled the email alerts because I think they're locking up the router, but I want to get this working.

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Maria, there is a button that says "emal log now" When you use that feature, what happens?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Nothing but an error. Nothing pops up on the main screen, of course, but when I check the system log, I see this (where the email address is the actual desired address):

Sending email to [USERNAME@HOST.COM] is failed!

Authentication required.

Not  accepted by the server.

This happens whether I specify a specific port (INSERTMYHOSTNAMEHERE.COM:25) where "insert..etc.etc." includes my actual server address - which works for the other applications that are emailing through the router.

So, the problem to me appears to be that (a) the hostname is wrong, which I know isn't true, (b) the port is wrong, but that's the port that works for the other correctly functioning emails, or (c) some additional credentials are required, but there's nowhere to enter that information.

Any idea how I should proceed?

Hi Maria, does your SMTP server require a host name for identification of the request? In other words, does the RV016 have a host name configured.

I can't think of any other reason why it would have problems unless you have another protocol running (perhaps a more secure mail exchange?)

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/