Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 - multiple subnets

ianfrance1
Level 1
Level 1

Hei.

I have been trying to configure my router for routing between subnets, unfortunately with no luck.

Here is my situation -

I have 2 networks which need to communicate with each other, no internet involved.

Network A:

RV016 router with IP: 192.168.0.2

mask: 255.255.255.0

there are cameras, PC's, PLC's conected to this network all with static IP address's.

Network B:

no router - all machines on this network have static IP's in the range 192.168.1.xxx and are connected via unmanaged switches.

I need one of the PC's on network A to communicate with a PLC on  network B.

I have tried to connect network B to A by connecting from a switch on network B to a LAN port on network A router and configuring the router for multiple subnets.

I would really appreciate it if someone couold give me some pointers / steps to follow to make this work - my backup plan is to use another RV016 router configured to network B ip address.  But I dont have that yet.

regards Ian.

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ian,

You're correct the multiple subnet feature is what to use. To configure this-

Go to the IPv4 tab and tick the enable multiple subnet box then click add/edit. On the next window type in a LAN IP address which can be anything you want... for argument sake I will say 192.168.100.1. Then type in the subnet mask, we will say 255.255.255.0. Click OK.

Now, you'd need to configure the computers as an example such as-

IP address 192.168.100.100

Mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.100.1

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

anmayfie
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Ian,

I found an article that I hope can be of good use to you. It can help explain how to create multiple subnets.

LAN Setup on RV016, RV042, RV042G and RV082 VPN Routers

Hope it helps,

Andrew Mayfield

ianfrance1
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys for your responses - I will try these suggestions out later, as my spare router arrived this morning and I managed to get the network communicating.

Ian