cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016: PPTP Server and "Block MAC address"

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

So if the PPTP server is enabled, and "Block MAC address not on the list" is enabled under the DHCP settings, will the PPTP client get an IP address?

Similarly, if the PPTP server is enabled and the range of IP addresses configured on the PPTP server screen is outside the IP range of the router due to a subnet mask (like 255.255.225.248 for example), will the IP still be assigned to the PPTP client?  If assigned, will that IP have any connectivity to the LAN?

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com      

1 Reply 1

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

So here's how PPTP works with these two features:

1.  The PPTP IP range is a different range than the DHCP range.  You get an error message if your PPTP IP range overlaps with the DHCP one.

I didn't test the 'Block MAC' function because since the IP isn't coming from the DHCP pool, I highly doubt any MAC blocking will work.

2.  Since your PPTP IP address range is outside of the DHCP range, this point is completely taken off the table.  However, if you choose an IP range that's outside of the subnet, you'll get an error message when saving.  I also learned that if you set the PPTP IP to just a single number and connect, the router will automatically reject any additional connections since no IPs are available.