RV042 Dual WAN NSD Failback

qbowman01
Level 1
Level 1

Running a RV042 in Smart Link with NSD Mode

WAN1: Cable Internet to ISP

WAN2: DSL Internet to backup ISP

WAN1 is set as the primary WAN.

With both links up, when I pull the plug on WAN1, it failsover to WAN2 in the expected amount of time and resumes internet traffic.

When I plug WAN1 back in though, the service doesn't automatically fail back to the Preferred WAN1 Connection, no matter how long I wait.

Advice?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Hmmm...I only had my rv042 in load balance mode and it did work correctly then.  Is it possible to try using that mode instead?

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

I'm not very experienced with LB mode with two different WAN services from different ASN's.
Will this not potentially cause sessions issues with clients web browsing (Especially with SSL)?
Or is the device intelligent enough to make that work properly?

Does anybody have any information as to what Load Balancing protocol the router uses so I can research further?

Thanks!

I've used it for two different ASNs all the time.  Yes, you will have problems with SSL logins or any logins that check the source IP, but that can be easily fixed with some entries under the protocol binding.

There's no real protocol being used for the load balance.  Just a weighted round-robin based on the bandwidth information you enter for each of the WANs.