cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 firmware 4.0.0.7 issues and also VPN with Macintosh

Les Gray
Level 1
Level 1

I have a very strange issue.  I have always been able to get Macs/iPhone/iPad with OS 10.4+-iOS3+ to connect to the PPTP server on the RV042,but just got a new RV042 the other day with 4.0.0.7 firmware and I can no longer connect with the Macs or the iPhone/iPad.  Anyone else having this issue or am I nuts?

Configurations are identical except for the WAN connection, however to the same ISP.

Can I flash the newer V3.0 RV042 back to 1.3.12.19 firmware?

This last question is now moot, you cannot go to the old firmware as I have now found out.  Also you cannot load a configuration from a pre firmware 4 RV042 to the current one, the file types are different...

5 Replies 5

islandjharris
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same issue running the RV042 V03 (black and silver Cisco-branded case) with the 4.0.0.7 firmware. Connecting via Windows PTPP client is fine, though OS X's doesn't work anymore (worked fine with the Linksys-branded RV042 running 1.3.12.19 firmware and still does).

I've opened a case with Home Business support and will let you know how it goes - they were going to escalate. We tested with 2 different WAN connections so it's definitely not the ISP. Had a different PTPP server running on both WAN connections at this location previously just fine.

Also, they confirmed that you cannot put the 1.3.12.19 firmware on the old RV042 because they say the hardware is different. They also confirmed this router supports only up to 5 PPTP accounts with no concurrent logins per-account.

Yes, I had already modified my original post

to say I had found out that the firmware could not be downgraded.

Far more irritating is the fact that the config file cannot be uploaded either.

There was an excellent post by Alejandro Gallego on an alternative connection method for Macs on the older firmware and I have confirmed that it works on the new formware:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10266

Still would be nice to be able to use the PPTP server particularly from my iPhone/iPad

Les

Thanks very much for that link, I will have to use this work-around for the time being since I have a few clients with RV042's (I will keep the older ones on the older firmware for now).

Cisco confirmed that this problem is indeed a bug and forwarded it to engineering. They said they will keep me in the loop on progress, but I assume it will be fixed in the next firmware release.

-Justin

I've confirmed that the issue is resolved in the next version of the firmware (4.0.3.01) which they gave me a beta test of. It also resolves an issue where the router would still answer on port 843 even after setting the remote management port to something else. They told me it would be officially released in under 2 months, but I'm sure you could get the beta version of the firmware by opening a case with them.

Cheers,

Justin

Thanks Justin,

I think I will do that.  On another note, it appears that you can no longer use various symbols with the QuickVPN client to connect to the 4.0 RV042, although you can with the older versions.

Les