Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Firmware upgrade problem

Forester12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have been tasked with upgrading firmware on RV042 routers at over 30 remote locations. The problem is that when I upgrade the firmware the vpn tunnel to the home office doesn't reconnect and we lose communication with the router. What can I do to keep the vpn tunnel live without having to travel to each site just to get the vpn tunnel back up? 

Thank you for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello, 

You should check if the Keep Alive option and the dead peer detection is enabled on both ends of the VNP tunnel. They help reconnecting the tunnel once it drops.

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Forester

> home office doesn't reconnect

you have to investigate why it does not reconnect - what needs to be done manually on remote site in order to get that VPN working? Hope I understand correctly that RV042 itself works like VPN endpoint on remote location and not any other device behind RV042, right?

Hi Michal, 

You are correct, each remote router acts as a vpn endpoint. We were able to reconnect the tunnel from the remote location, though I only saw it after my co-worker pinged the home office router.

I'm not sure if I understood: you're saying that tunnel went UP after your co-worker on remote location perform ping toward your home/main location? What exactly was done? I am trying to focus to possibility of automating that steps which resulted to VPN tunnel restoration. If user just performed some ping in order to trigger tunnel creation, I would suggest to perform same continuous ping from remotely accessible workstation on remote site during the whole process of firmware upgrade.

Hello, 

You should check if the Keep Alive option and the dead peer detection is enabled on both ends of the VNP tunnel. They help reconnecting the tunnel once it drops.

I hope this helps

This seemed to do the trick. As long as I made sure these settings were enabled on both ends I was able to reconnect the tunnel from the main router. Thanks for your help!

I'm glad it worked for you.

Thank you for letting us know.