cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Port Forwarding Not working

theprivateit
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Linksys Rv042 Router. Have Port Forwarding enabled for the typical ports and they work fine. Recently, we purchased a Cloud NAS and I assigned it an local ip address of 192.168.0.110. the device default port for Cloud function is 50500. Created a forward on the Router to allow TCP and UDP port 50500 to 192.168.0.110. Also setup a Firewall rule in SBS 2008 to allow traffic on Inbound. However, when I check to see if the port is open, from both inside and outside the firewall, it says it's closed. 

I hired an super smart MCSE from Microsoft to look at the problem, and after an hour he gave up. Talked to the ISP (Charter in this case) if that port was closed by them and they confirmed it wasn't. 

I'm at a loss at this point. I've even tried changing the port #'s and so far nothing other than what I've already opened for Internet, email, smtp, etc can be opened. 

Any help or guidance would be appreciated at this point.

5 Replies 5

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

Im sorry you are having issues with your device.

Based on your description of the problem, I think the issue may be on the NAS and not on the router as you mention that is in fact working for other ports.

Quick question, when you configured the NAS, did you setup a default gateway and if so, is it pointing to the IP address of the router?

If you want to make sure the router is working correctly, you can download a little piece of software called "RJL port listener", it has a very simple interface, when you run it you will select port 50500 and hit Start, then, on the router, create a port forwarding rule for port 50500 pointing it to the IP address of the PC that is running it.

Then you can check the port from the outside using websites like canyouseeme or yougetsignal.com, if it appears open then the router and everything else is working as expected, and it will point the issue to the ports on the NAS or the configuration on it, but the very first step will be to make sure the NAS does have a default gateway pointing to the router.

I hope this helps.

I tried what you suggested. Installed RJL on a pc at the office behind the firewall, put in 50500, changed the Router Forward to that PC and yes, from the outside it says that port is open. When I change the port forwarding back to the IP address of the NAS, from the outside it says the port is closed. And yes, the gateway address on the NAS is the routers IP. In fact, it's DHCP. Any suggestions?

Hello,

Thank you for following the instructions. It seems the issue is on the NAS, most likely that port is not ready and listening on it.

The only thing that I can recommend is to try and verify that the port is ready on the NAS. You can try this:

When on the same network as the NAS, run the following command on a PC, "Telnet IP-Address_of_NAS 50500", Replace IP-Address_of_NAS with the actual ip.

If it fails the port is not opened.

I hope this helps

I found the issue, a mis-configured Wireless Bridge. Now that is fixed, the setup completed successfully and the port now shows open. However, In using the LenovoEMC Storage Manager, I type in the Cloud name, it thinks, then asks for a username and password, etc. and it comes up with an error: "Unable to get XML-RPC response." Any thoughts? Also, it appears the port I opened 50500, is open for a while then closes. I reboot the device, then it's open again. 

Hello, 

I'm sorry, I dont know what this "Unable to get XML-RPC response" is. The port shouldn't close itself automatically.

At this point I think your best bet is to create a case with the Small Business center so that we can troubleshoot it further.