cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 vs RV042G when using QuickVPN

turbo2ltr
Level 1
Level 1

I have two offices, one with an older RV042 and one with an RV042G. They are actually VPNed together (and have been without issue for years), but now I need to access them remotely when away on business.  Using quickVPN on the windows 8.1 pro, I can connect to the G no issues,  But despite the exact same settings on the RV042, I get the dreaded "Failed to ping remote router"on the PC even though the router says the client is connected.  I have tried every suggestion, but the fact remains, it works fine on the RV042G.  I have gone through the settings on each router side by side to make sure they all match, they do.

So what is the difference?  I know the computer setup works.  So does anyone know of compatibility issues with the older RV042 vs the G version? Does something need to be different on the 042? As most people, I've wasted hours on this now.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

turbo2ltr
Level 1
Level 1

One thing I noticed is when I connect to the RV042G and it works, the log still says "Failed to ping remote VPN router" which is the last entry in the log.  Not sure if that just means the first time failed, but the second time did not.  On the RV042, I get 5 failure messages in the log, then it asks if I want to continue to wait.

Also, the RV042s are v1.1.  I saw one mention that quickVPN "just doesn't work" with these, can someone confirm?

Hi,

With the PC used windows 8.1, Quick VPN shows only compatible with upto Windows 7 and the lower version.

Quick VPN:- https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/quick_vpn.html

With the same PC/Laptop you can try the alternate VPN software (Shrew soft) for client to gateway in Rv042.

->Note make you download the standard version of Shrew soft(free)

Link:- https://crocimassimo.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/shrewsoft-vpn-client-how-to-establish-an-ip-sec-vpn-tunnel-to-cisco-rv042e28184rv042ge28184rv0821.pdf 

and Attached PDF file as well.

------------------------

->With the Rv042 and Rv042G the basic difference is with the Dual Gigabit WAN ports in RV042G.

->With the VPN settings been same works usually but the OS needs to be within the compatible list of quick VPN

->With the Rv042G quick VPN working can be used, with the Rv042 if possible try to go Shrew soft VPn client.

We do have similar cases where under the logs of quick VPN:-

Failed to ping VPN router... is coming for the Windows version running mostly above 7.(Windows 8 -10)

Regards,

Mridul 

If one router works and the other doesn't from the same machine, it doesn't sound like it's an OS problem.  Wasn't really looking to install even more software just to get this working.

Ever think back to the Pioneer days where people just put in a hard days work, then knew what they had to get done, and didn't have to waste time on troubleshooting bugs in other people's software?